Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Smart Phone Antivirus?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:00 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Location: Playing Chicken with the Train at the River. Party Time!!
For the past couple of decades, antivirus software has become a no-brainer; have antivirus software installed on your computer or suffer the consequences.

Fast forward and we now have micro-computers, Smart Phones, which can just as easily be infected by app creators/hackers.

A Google Search produced a plethora of results including AVG, Norton and Avast.

My question is this; those of you that have smart phones, do you employ Antivirus apps and if so, which one(s) do you recommend?

Post subject: Re: Smart Phone Antivirus?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:46 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I don't, mostly because I pay attention to the permissions that apps need in order to run. If a clock app needs to know my phone state or contact information, then screw it.

I also try to keep what I install to a minimum, and only install from what looks like trustworthy sources (i.e., Only from Google Play, and only apps that have a decent number of user reviews to look over). I don't have much of a worry for web exploits, but I usually keep the same rules when using the web browser

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:47 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

While I appreciate the enthusiasm of your reply, Latios, it doesn’t answer my question: “What antivirus app would you recommend?”

LatiosXT wrote:
I don't, mostly because I pay attention to the permissions that apps need in order to run. If a clock app needs to know my phone state or contact information, then screw it.

This works fine for someone that understands the implication of ‘permissions’. The casual user may not.

LatiosXT wrote:
I also try to keep what I install to a minimum, and only install from what looks like trustworthy sources (i.e., Only from Google Play, and only apps that have a decent number of user reviews to look over).

Again, this is a proper way to use one’s smart phone but also sets up the casual consumer to reconsider their use of antivirus on their desktop PC.

LatiosXT wrote:
I don't have much of a worry for web exploits, but I usually keep the same rules when using the web browser

Please remember, this particular board is visible world-wide without ‘logging in’. There are people just as curious as myself that are not as smart as you. You must make it your duty to guide them: Otherwise, antivirus software on a desktop computer would be a waist of time considering the above guidance.

The eyes of the world are on this thread, Latios. I place my trust in your guidance.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:02 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The best tool against malware is called, for lack of a better term, common sense. To empower the user with the knowledge to prevent them from getting malware will save them headaches in the long run, rather than let the user do whatever he or she wants and then has their data compromised. It's similar to the reason that people want their personal information on Facebook safeguarded... well if you want your personal information safeguarded, don't put it up in the first place.

Anyway, if you really want something relevant to this post so that people can continue to practice unsafe app usage and browsing habits: https://play.google.com/store/search?q=antivirus&c=apps I'd say Norton has the best offering here, followed by AVG.

And in all honesty, I'd rather people learn how to practice passive security measures (i.e., don't install anything that looks suspicious, don't install apps from another source other than Google Play, don't visit shady websites, etc.) because anti-malware software has the potential of draining your battery life because it has to be more or less constantly on.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:51 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

That has to be one of the most eloquent posts I’ve seen from you in a while. Concise, to the point and informative! Well said!

I just have one question… do you have insurance? Auto, home, life, renters?

I ask because these are things one NEVER wants to collect on!

I bring this up because of:
LatiosXT wrote:
… Anyway, if you really want something relevant to this post so that people can continue to practice unsafe app usage and browsing habits…

Isn’t antivirus software a form of insurance?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:07 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)

brb011 wrote:

No, its the same as putting up a sign saying beware of dog. It's not going to pay to fix the problem, just tell you it's there. Your backup regiment (you have one right? If not you need to) is your only insurance when an "act of god" happens. Antivirus software will not recreate your data if you drop your phone in the toilet any more then if a male-ware program deletes it all.

I agree with LatiosXT education is the only way to go. Learn safe user habits, and start a back up regiment for the unforeseen.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:53 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Insurance is something that protects you from losing too many resources, or it can remedy your resources should you lose it. If malware compromises your phone and trashes your contacts or uses your personal information for malicious deeds, there's nothing anti-malware software can do to fix it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:47 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I must thank you two for opening my eyes. It is obvious that having antivirus software on a smart phone is nothing more than a drain on the battery and system resources.

As long as one follows safe surfing practices, there is no need for such foolishness

Since macro computers (desktop PC’s) and micro computers (smart phones) are capable of visiting the same websites, I’ve uninstalled my computer’s antivirus software… I was tired of it sucking up so many resources. Thanks for the advice!

I must thank you two for opening my eyes. It is obvious that having antivirus software on a smart phone is nothing more than a drain on the battery and system resources.

idaiki wrote:
brb011 wrote:

No, its the same as putting up a sign saying beware of dog. It's not going to pay to fix the problem, just tell you it's there. Your backup regiment (you have one right? If not you need to) is your only insurance when an "act of god" happens. Antivirus software will not recreate your data if you drop your phone in the toilet any more then if a male-ware program deletes it all.

I agree with LatiosXT education is the only way to go. Learn safe user habits, and start a back up regiment for the unforeseen.

Seriously? Do0d! I do those things already!

I ask these questions not only for my benefit but also for the benefit of the new MPC’ers that are quiet about these questions.

I now have two people saying “Antivirus Software” on a smart phone (A Micro Computer) is a waste of resources and time.

Please answer me this: Do you have antivirus software on your desktop PC and why (or why not)?

I'll ask the same question to you, Latios, "Do you use antivirus software on your home computer?"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:26 pm 

brb011 wrote:
Seriously? Do0d! I do those things already!
I was writing that for the masses that may not be as savvy as you or I.

brb011 wrote:
Please answer me this: Do you have antivirus software on your desktop PC and why (or why not)?
I run Microsoft's free AV that is part of Essentials. The only reason for this is for the information about new viruses. Each time it updates MS gives you a fair amount of info for learning what the "new" viruses are doing. Not to mention it's free and easy on resources.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:15 am 

In a way. Android is more prone to viruses, so it should be established as an in case.....