Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Acer won't boot
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:21 pm 

A friend of mine handed me an Acer Aspire and asked me to fix it and now I'm stumped.

When I received it: It would boot to a screen asking me if I'd like to Start Windows Normally or Repair Windows. The Start Normally option would put the computer in a boot loop that would boot to the point that the Windows logo would come up and then reboot, never getting to the login screen. If I choose Repair Windows, it starts the scrolling bar across the bottom and then goes to a black screen with an arrow cursor and stays there forever.

What I know: The HDD seems to be good since it will start booting Windows. I can also hear the heads moving and it sounds normal.

What I've tried: Along with the above tries, I've tried installing a fresh copy of Vista (it came with Vista). That doesn't seem to work. At first it said no hard drives were detected. I changed the BIOS to act as an IDE and now it sees the drive, but it is moving really slow.

Any tips? I'm kind of lazy and don't want to have to tear the case open to pull the drive out to fix this POS that isn't mine.

Post subject: Re: Acer won't boot
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:04 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Did it come with any recovery disks? If not, did the owner burn them when he first received this laptop? If not, you can ask him if he wishes to purchase them from Acer's site (assuming they are available, that is!). I have worked with these laptops before and it seems as though these things have problems with the hard drives overheating. If you had to go into the BIOS and change the SATA mode to IDE, I would almost bet that the thing has bad sectors on the drive and the drive needs to be replaced. If that is the case, you will need to copy the partitions to a new hard drive (using an Apricorn DriveWire kit, which has its own proprietary EZ Gig software included), and then run the recovery disks. If you have any questions, let me know.

Post subject: Re: Acer won't boot
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:57 pm 

I seem to have been able to fix it. I pulled the drive out and hooked it up to my "trashable" laptop just in case there was something bad on the Acer's HD. I deleted the partitions and then put it back into the Acer. I was then able to do a clean install of Vista with an old full install CD I'll never use again. The owner doesn't have recovery disks and would rather trash the PC than pay for recovery disks.

Seems to be working now.

Was more work than I really wanted to do for a POS that isn't mine...

Oh well...I'm done with it.