Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: LEDs in Computer cases
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:47 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Alright, so my curiosity got the best of me, especially since i've been eyeing the NZXT Phantom 820 a LOT lately. I've looked at many cases with LED lighting systems, and have asked questions regarding their LEDs.

I know that LEDs last much longer than incandescent and fluorescent lights. But are the ones used in computer cases even MORE durable, lasting virtually forever? A lifetime, basically?

If not... is it even POSSIBLE to replace these LEDs with new, working ones. Or do manufacturers use completely proprietary LEDs that are made specifically for their cases?

Because that'd really suck... I'd hate to buy something like that Phantom 820, and have its LEDs die on me in 15 years or so... then not be able to replace them with new, working ones, restoring that wonderful glow. :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: LEDs in Computer cases
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:30 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Typically they're just regular LEDs you can buy at RadioShack... or Digikey. There's no reason to reinvent the wheel.~

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:29 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Well, the Phantom's got NZXTs HUE lighting system (have NO idea how it works). You can adjust the LED colour... so i'm assuming you'd have to replace any dead LEDs with plain ones?

How DOES that HUE lighting system work, anyway?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:58 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

In that case, it's probably surface mounted tri-color LED. Those are price and require some electronics know-how to install one of those.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:40 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

LEDs have pretty long life spans. I don't see how they could fail. Maybe from poor engineering or something.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:22 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

phillyj wrote:
LEDs have pretty long life spans. I don't see how they could fail. Maybe from poor engineering or something.

Hmm. Cool. That's good to know.

Are there any Phantom 820 owners out there?

I'd want to know whether or not you can turn off ALL lights on the case. Not just the interior lights. It wasn't clear whether or not just the interior lights can be turned off. I've some reviews, and no one covered that. From what i've seen...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:38 am 

I bought some from antec. very happy with them. they are usb powered. I put them in my case and ran the line out of the back throw a gromit.

http://store.antec.com/Product/accessor ... 032-3.aspx

they have a switch u have to turn them on/off with. I got them at amazon for a much better price.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:42 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

saipan wrote:
I bought some from antec. very happy with them. they are usb powered. I put them in my case and ran the line out of the back throw a gromit.

http://store.antec.com/Product/accessor ... 032-3.aspx

they have a switch u have to turn them on/off with. I got them at amazon for a much better price.

Yeah, i'm talking about pre-installed LEDs in cases which already have them, not aftermarket LEDs you can install in any case. There's a day and night difference once you apply my question to it; of how you go about replacing these LEDs.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:09 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Prenihility wrote:
of how you go about replacing these LEDs.

LEDs don't need to be replaced like you think. They will last until your next upgrade. I think the minimum is 20,000 hours which is near 2 years. Are you running it for 2 years straight or just a few hours a day?

Why are you worrying anyway? Does it matter if you can turn it on and off? If you really want it to do that, I suggest hacking it and inserting a switch into the circuit. Sometimes you just have to do it yourself.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:33 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

phillyj wrote:
Prenihility wrote:
of how you go about replacing these LEDs.

LEDs don't need to be replaced like you think. They will last until your next upgrade. I think the minimum is 20,000 hours which is near 2 years. Are you running it for 2 years straight or just a few hours a day?

Why are you worrying anyway? Does it matter if you can turn it on and off? If you really want it to do that, I suggest hacking it and inserting a switch into the circuit. Sometimes you just have to do it yourself.

Upgrade...? You ARE aware i'm talking about a case here, right? With built-in LEDs? Did you think i was talking about a fan with LEDs, or a RAM module with LEDs? A $250 case is an investment, and something you take with you into the future. Upgrade? I don't think anyone in their right mind would buy a Phantom 820, build a high-end sytem that'll last plenty of years, and then just ditch it for something else.

And 20,000 hours? Two years? If that's the case, then that SUCKS! Having the LEDs die in 2-3 years after using the case... depending on how often it's used. It's important to note that 9 out of ten people don't use their PCs like gaming consoles, though... At least i haven't seen anyone turn on their PC for half an hour, to an hour, and then turn it off... :|

As for turning the LED on/off, i already know you can - in the main enclosure. But i DON'T know if you can turn off the LEDs in the front.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:40 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

To quote Wikipedia

Quote:
Solid-state devices such as LEDs are subject to very limited wear and tear if operated at low currents and at low temperatures. Many of the LEDs made in the 1970s and 1980s are still in service today. Typical lifetimes quoted are 25,000 to 100,000 hours, but heat and current settings can extend or shorten this time significantly.

And really, I'd turn off your computer when you can anyway. My computer idles at 100W. I may as well leave the room lights on 24/7 or something. But even then, look around your house and look for LEDs, chances are you probably have something that's 5+ years old with an LED and it still works.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:25 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Prenihility wrote:

Upgrade...? You ARE aware i'm talking about a case here, right? With built-in LEDs? Did you think i was talking about a fan with LEDs, or a RAM module with LEDs? A $250 case is an investment, and something you take with you into the future. Upgrade? I don't think anyone in their right mind would buy a Phantom 820, build a high-end sytem that'll last plenty of years, and then just ditch it for something else.

Yea, I just thought it was another case. If it's $250 then it better last 10 years. Otherwise get something else.

Prenihility wrote:
And 20,000 hours? Two years? If that's the case, then that SUCKS! Having the LEDs die in 2-3 years after using the case... depending on how often it's used. It's important to note that 9 out of ten people don't use their PCs like gaming consoles, though... At least i haven't seen anyone turn on their PC for half an hour, to an hour, and then turn it off... :|

As for turning the LED on/off, i already know you can - in the main enclosure. But i DON'T know if you can turn off the LEDs in the front.

You know, things fail and there are tolerances built in. Equipment has to last a minimum amount of time. No one said it will die in 2-3 years. It has a minimum rating of two years. It's not guaranteed but to last the minimum. I've seen LEDS (from lab equipment running 24/7) still running after 10 years.

You might want to re-read the manual again and see what you can turn off. I looked and you probably can control all LEDs. If you are not satisfied, send NZXT and email and ask them to clarify.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:18 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Most cases have now a external LED switch of some kind. Especially on 200+ dollar cases. Far as LED wear and tear I figure if you care for them they won't break down too much for a long time. You'd be surprised how long you can keep some things running.