Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Critical Error - No suitable graphics devices found
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:14 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Trying to solve friends problem using TeamViewer as they are 1000 miles away.

He gets this message "Critical Error - No suitable graphics devices found" on some of the games in Vista. I'm talking about Solitaire and Mahjong. Inkball works.

Happened only recently so I suspected the Windows Updates of the past week and uninstalled them. No change.

I've uninstalled the graphics driver and had Windows download and reinstall it. Same thing. I've tried downloading the latest drivers from Nvidia but that fails on attempt(see http://imageshack.us/a/img16/8025/mvidi ... failed.jpg).

Only seen couple references to the problem on the interweb. Some have solved it using System Restore but that is out as each one i try I get a "system restore did not complete successfully" , "transcient error" , 0x800423f3.

Someone suggested to remove and reinstall .NET 1.1 that is a no go.

Malwarebytes, Superantispyare and MSE all come up good.

Thoughts from the roundtable?

Last edited by FrostyWinnipeg on Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Critical Error - No suitable graphics devices found
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:24 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If you can't get his computer to download from NVIDIA's website (that link doesn't work by the way)...

• Use a mirror.
  • Use a file sharing website
  • Allegedly TeamViewer allows drag and drop transferring.

I'd also do another uninstall but have the drivers reinstalled in Windows' safe mode.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:56 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Fixed link. Thanks.

Tried installing drivers from safe mode. Same screen comes up.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:07 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Let's try the manual approach then...

1. Open up Control Panel then go to Device Manager. If you're in "Category View", select "Hardware and Sound" and then Device Manager
  2. Expand "Display Adapters", double click on the NVIDIA card (or whatever's there). This should open up a dialog. If not, right click on it and select "Properties"
  3. Go to the "Drivers" tab, press "Update Driver...".
  4. When asked where to find the driver, do the manual search (second option I believe)
  5. Assuming you didn't clean up any NVIDIA driver stuff, have the driver updater look in C:\NVIDIA\[version]

If that doesn't work, either Windows is all shot to hell or the video card is going bad.

Just as a stupid questions check, you did install the latest service pack and updates and stuff?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:26 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

It's all updated but there is a .Net 1.1 file update that will not go through. Even downloaded it from Microsoft. Reverts on reboot.

Used a cleanup tool on .Net 1.1, reinstalled but that update "KB2761494" still will not go through.

Will try the Device Manager thing soon and get back.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:30 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

What graphics card is it? Its it a laptop by chance?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:25 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

nsvander wrote:

Emachine T5246 desktop. Graphics I think are integrated but im 800 miles away :)

No luck LatiosXT via your method. Says latest drivers are installed which is not quite right as it is the drivers Windows Update installs on a reboot. Might be time just to do a non-destructive reinstall of the O/S. Though I sure would like to know what is in simple games such as Solitaire and Mahjong that causes an error.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:47 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: Rest in Peace... Stratplan & Whitecree & Thomasvjones
The Emachine T5246 is listed as having GeForce 6100 integrated graphics. Those are Vista compatible so that should not be the problem.

I think that the issue is that Solitaire and some of the other Windows games require that the AERO visual effects be turned on.

Next time you are working on the PC (using TeamViewer), go to Start - then Help and Support. Type Aero into the Search Help box.

The first result is about Troubleshooting problems with Aero.

I think that once you get Aero working again... those games will start working.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:51 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
I think you will find that a lot of people are having problems with that particular microsoft update.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:51 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

FrostyWinnipeg wrote:
nsvander wrote:

Emachine T5246 desktop. Graphics I think are integrated but im 800 miles away :)

No luck LatiosXT via your method. Says latest drivers are installed which is not quite right as it is the drivers Windows Update installs on a reboot. Might be time just to do a non-destructive reinstall of the O/S. Though I sure would like to know what is in simple games such as Solitaire and Mahjong that causes an error.

That is the reason why the graphics driver is failing when you try to install the latest from nVidia, you need to get the legacy driver. It could be version 15.49 or 15.26 it depends on if it is a 430 or a 410 based chipset. The graphics is built in to the chipset and uses a completely different driver then a stand-alone card.

Go to the download section of nvidia's website and from the dropdown select "Legacy" then "nForce 4" after that you need to know if its a 430 or 410 chip.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:59 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Gary480six wrote:
The Emachine T5246 is listed as having GeForce 6100 integrated graphics. Those are Vista compatible so that should not be the problem.

I think that the issue is that Solitaire and some of the other Windows games require that the AERO visual effects be turned on.

Next time you are working on the PC (using TeamViewer), go to Start - then Help and Support. Type Aero into the Search Help box.

The first result is about Troubleshooting problems with Aero.

I think that once you get Aero working again... those games will start working.

This post was really promising as Aero was not turned on. Tried to turn it on. Failed with a message about Visual Styles. Tried a Microsoft Fix-it and it failed. The games are working again tho. So if Aero does not work for them it's not a big deal.

For now, thanks for all the help everyone.