Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: PCB manufacturing facilities. Are they safe?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:23 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Errr... first off, i have to say, i have NO idea where i'd post something like this. If i go to a health forum, more than likely NO ONE would be able to help me. I'm pretty confident someone here at Maximum PC has a good deal of knowledge in the manufacturing side of things, in the computer world.

So, i'm looking to get a job (just as a student, not a career or anything of the sort) at this PCB manufacturing facility. And was wondering if such a place is even healthy to work at.

I knew a guy who used to work there, but i never bothered asking HIM the question, because it never came to mind.

I went in there to hand in my application. And i detected a chlorine-like smell in the area...?

Now, according to their site, they are in fact ROHS compliant, and substances such as Lead, Cadmium, and Mercury are NOT used in the production of their products. So... yeah.

If someone could please give me some insight into this, i would very much appreciate it. I'm quite paranoid in regards to this, but um... yeah. I'd like to know. Instead of always having this sketchy feeling about the place WHILE working there. I'd really love some piece of mind with this situation.

:(

Post subject: Re: PCB manufacturing facilities. Are they safe?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:47 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

If it's in the USA, then I know there are supposed to be guidelines and regulations, like OSHA. But, recalling the fertilizer plant explosion last week, I'm not sure how much corner cutting is going on in American industries.

Personally, I can't stand the smell of paint or automotive fumes, or other solvents. I use various volatiles like alcohols and work with smelly bacteria at work (biotech), and I don't like it. It's not dangerous; just have a sensitive nose.

You're probably going to be in a high risk environment, so keep that in mind. Is the pay worth it? Do you learn skills that will help your future career?

Post subject: Re: PCB manufacturing facilities. Are they safe?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:04 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printed_c ... ufacturing

I guess would be a good place to start to at least have a sense of knowing what you're getting into. But yes, PCB manufacturing does mess with some pretty nasty chemicals.