Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: trying to install DVI GFX over Integrated GFX
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:22 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I have an old P4 computer that I want to put back in use. I got a new 500W PSU in and it booted up in XP/ubuntu fine. Now, I wanted to add an EVGA eGeForce 7600GT DVI card. I found the drivers but didn't install that yet. I shut down and put in my card in the x16 slot and rebooted. I get no signal on my monitor. I then shut down and hooked up to the VGA on the mobo. Still no video.

What should I do? I read that I should remove the card, go to BIOS, select the PCI slot for video, shut down, install card, and turn on. Will this help?

Someone said to reset the BIOS, so I did that but no change.

Mobo: From HP, PTGD1-LA
HP website for mobo: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... uct=432786

This looks like my GFX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130017

Post subject: Re: trying to install DVI GFX over Integrated GFX
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:12 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Alright, let me rephrase this:

Should I install the drivers in Windows before I add the card?

If I select in BIOS to use the card in the PCI slot (rather than integrated gfx), can I just plug the monitor into the DVI and load up windows to install the driver?

I'm not really sure how to do it on this old XP machine. I never installed a discrete card on Windows. Linux did everything automatically for me before; no drivers for me to install manually.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:27 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

For future reference, don't say "PCI slot", it's the "PCI Express slot". It was confusing me. Anywho, the procedure would be...

• Have the current drivers accessible somewhere without internet access
  • Uninstall the previous graphics drivers and just in case, run a registry cleaner. You shouldn't have to do anymore than that.
    • If you're really paranoid, you can find a driver cleaner software but I can't exactly recommend one since the only one I'm aware of is outdated all to hell.
  • Turn off the computer
  • Install video card
  • Run XP in safe mode
  • Install the drivers there.
  • Restart computer, go into BIOS and look for where it has the option of which graphics to boot from
  • If there's a choice called "auto", leave it. Otherwise set it for the PCI Express card.
  • Plug the cable into the video card
  • If you have issues, take out the battery to reset BIOS settings and use the IGP port.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:12 am 
Team Member
Team Member

LatiosXT wrote:
For future reference, don't say "PCI slot", it's the "PCI Express slot". It was confusing me. Anywho, the procedure would be...

• Have the current drivers accessible somewhere without internet access
  • Uninstall the previous graphics drivers and just in case, run a registry cleaner. You shouldn't have to do anymore than that.
    • If you're really paranoid, you can find a driver cleaner software but I can't exactly recommend one since the only one I'm aware of is outdated all to hell.
  • Turn off the computer
  • Install video card
  • Run XP in safe mode
  • Install the drivers there.
  • Restart computer, go into BIOS and look for where it has the option of which graphics to boot from
  • If there's a choice called "auto", leave it. Otherwise set it for the PCI Express card.
  • Plug the cable into the video card
  • If you have issues, take out the battery to reset BIOS settings and use the IGP port.

Alright, sorry about that. Anyway, I did figure it out after I did my last post. I just went to BIOS and chose PCI Express from the orignal option of PCI. I shut down, installed my card into the PCIe slot, and plugged my monitor into the card's DVI out. I restarted, got into windows and installed the Nvidia driver. It' working great.

I only had integrated GFX before so I didn't have to uninstall anything.

And I installed the drivers after I put in the GFX card. This is what was confusing me. How can the computer give output via the DVI if the driver is not installed? I know it has some kind of VGA driver for integrated graphics. I just read the DVI carries both analog and digital signal. So is that why you can get output thru a DVI card without installing drivers. If the card was HDMI only, then I would have some kind of trouble, right?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:16 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Windows has generic graphics card drivers that it will run to whatever graphics interface it knows about. It's just there so you can't boot into a black screen.