All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 2013 Spring Build
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:49 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

OK, time again....

2006 - core e6600 with 8800gtx

2011 - i2500k with 5850

Next 6wks time for a new one. Nothing supposedly REALLY new until what...Haswell in August? I can't wait that long. Too many kids hitting PC gaming age.

This build will do away with an expensive case, an optical drive(will reuse one from another PC that already has OS installed), and I won't be spending big bux on a motherboard just to get bells and whistles I never plan to use. I can save some $$ to by taking advantage of MS's willingness to discount their new OS Win8 due to lack of a good reception. I saw a discount for Win8 Pro this morning on the Egg for $79.99.

What this PC needs? Well, I'm in need of a 23 or 24" monitor(saw an Asus 23" this morning for $119). Must have a good SSD and a 1TB HDD. Thing is, 256GB SD or 128? I want to put Windows and Steam games on SSD.

Still researching, but here is a crude map of what I am looking at buying in 6 weeks or so. It is very much in flux as I saw a 1TB driver for $59.99 today to. Goal is to get total cost at $900 if possible....challenge!!!
Need help:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Publi ... r=19631051

Last edited by Bald_Yew on Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 2013 Spring Build
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:28 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Do you need an entirely new system, or can you just upgrade this one? Because really all this one needs is a new video card.

Also you have to make your wishlist public and use the public URL. The one you provided is for your profile.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:45 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Yeah, need new system. The arguments over PC time have been building since my kids have aged into wanting to play TF2 and Skyrim on their weekends. This will give us 3 Skyrim capable systems. For the past 10 years I have given away the 'system before last' to peeps who can't afford a PC, but I now have kids that can put them to use.

Thanks for the tip on using public URL, but I made the list public.
Trying the Newegg how to to post public lists...bear with me...

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Publi ... r=19631051

OMG - is it as easy as taking the 's' from the http?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:54 am 

put win 7 on a 120gb SSD, I prefer the ocz but Samsung is good too. get a WD 1tb Black for storage. dump the vcard and get this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130911

good choice on the case, perhaps a bigger PSU? need room to expand, OCing, fans, LEDS strips....

looks pretty good.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:14 am 

How much money do you have to spend???? and is silence in your build important.. Just wondering if you would think about putting a Corsair H100i instead of the CM fan. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835181032)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:08 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Silence is not a factor.

Budget is $1000. I can go higher if the extra money gives a good ROI.

Drop the 7870 for a GXT660? I thought the 7870 was a faster card. I see the 660 you linked has 3GB VRAM to my 7870's 2GB. Is this why you are recommending it?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:01 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Video RAM is pretty much snake oil these days. I'm bummed graphics cards companies are adding more for the sake of selling a more expensive SKU and suckering people in to buy it. The only real benefit you get from getting a card with higher video RAM is higher texture resolution and the ability to churn out higher screen resolution or a higher multiplier for antialiasing... Which has the effect of requiring a beefier GPU to actually make use of those without taking a performance hit.

Other than that, the build looks good.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:03 pm 

" Thing is, 256GB SD or 128? I want to put Windows and Steam games on SSD."

Depending on how caught up on games you buy from steam..... I would not be able to fit half of my steam directory on a 256 GB SSD... trust me, I'd love to, but with all the games installed, I am tipping the scale at approx. 500 - 600 GB I guess I don't have to have them all installed, and could just store the games I don't play on another drive, then the point of having them for playing is slowed down by needing to transfer them back when I am in the mood to play them.
Right now I do have 2 SSD's one for OS and programs that load during boot, such as overclocking programs, Afterburn from Nvidia. And some other stuff.... I do have 4 games on an SSD, they aren't steam games, but they are my 4 main played games, Guild Wars 2, Star Trek online, DC Universe, and Battlefield 3. They def. show an improved load time from being on a spinner.

So... basically... if you want steam on an SSD, get a 1 TB SSD unless you don't plan on having a lot of games installed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:49 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Eh. Here's the thing with putting your games on an SSD that I'm still trying to have someone confirm. But I can tell you a few things from experience.

The last game I tried with it on the SSD was Bioshock Infinite. I may have pulled the loading time from say 8 seconds to 3 seconds. Sure, that's fast, but I wouldn't have minded either. I also did a test with Sleeping Dogs, an open world GTA-like game. On the HDD it takes about 6 seconds to load a save. On the SSD, about 4... So nothing I'd fuss overThe only game I've tried before that was Skyrim which saw no real appreciable difference (though I did have like 10+ GB of mods). But the thing with Skyrim is that once the game is loaded, unless you fast travel or load a save from a long time ago, the game loads pretty quickly.

You see, load times are not just loading the game data into RAM. Loading also includes initializing the game world and state. My theory is for simpler games like Bioshock Infinite, it'll benefit from faster memory because there's nothing much to initialize once the game is loaded. However, for complex games like Skyrim where it has to simulate a world basically, it won't benefit much from faster memory, at least, appreciably. To put in another way, Windows 7 on a hard drive the last time I bothered to check was about 20 seconds on a HDD from cold boot that probably did about 100MB/s. Windows 7 on an SSD on a 550MB/s SSD took about 10 seconds from a cold boot. Wait, the SSD is 5 times faster! I should be down to 4 seconds! Because Windows needs to do stuff before it can actually let you use it.

While the speed factor of SSDs are nice, most programs you use won't appreciate it. What an SSD is really good for is its response time. Using a computer doesn't necessary feel faster, it just feels snappier.