Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: No output from new EVGA GT 610
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:44 am 

I recently upgraded my main gaming computer, and with the spare parts, plus a few new ones, I built a secondary computer. Here are the specs:

- Asus P5Q Motherboard
- 4 x 1GB OCZ DDR2 memory (I don't recall the speed)
- Intel quad core 2.4Ghz CPU
- Zalman heatsink/fan
- LG DVD r/w
- Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB HD (NEW)
- EVGA GT 610 DVI/VGA video card (NEW)
- Cooler Master rc-350 case with 500w PSU (NEW)

The motherboard was transplanted from my old machine 4 days ago. It had been in that machine for 4 1/2 years, without any problems. That machine was upgraded a few times (added an SSD, upgraded the video card, etc), never any problems. When I moved the motherboard, I left the CPU and RAM in.

I put the rest of the parts together, plugged it in, and powered it up. Everything seems to be working fine: case fan and the Zalman fan started up, the indicator lights on the front panel all did their thing (power light solid, HD and DVD lights flickered, etc). The video card fan is also running, so it's getting power, etc.

However, I get no output from the video card. I tried connecting it to the monitor through both connectors (DVI, VGA), nothing. I had my old EVGA GTX 260 lying around, and I plugged that in, same result. I tried resetting the BIOS through the motherboard jumper, nothing.

Anyone have any other suggestions of what I could try to diagnose this problem?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: No output from new EVGA GT 610
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:25 am 
Willamette
Willamette

If you haven't tried using your old PSU yet, try swapping out the Cooler Master 500W PSU with it and see if that resolves the issue. If not, then I would suspect that the problem is either a defective memory stick or the motherboard. Try running the rig with only one memory stick in it. If you still have the problem, then I would say that the motherboard is the culprit.

Post subject: Re: No output from new EVGA GT 610
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:33 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
Everything seems to be working fine: case fan and the Zalman fan started up, the indicator lights on the front panel all did their thing (power light solid, HD and DVD lights flickered, etc). The video card fan is also running, so it's getting power, etc.

"Seems" is the operative word.

I agree with pcstudent - I'm leaning towards a bad PSU (and, yes, PSUs can be bad right out of the box). Fans, small LED lights...these things are easily powered; but the heavy lifting requires a dependable PSU.

Another thing to check for when everything "seems" to be working fine: let the computer run and listen for the welcoming sound when your computer finally boots into Windows. If you don't hear anything, it means your computer isn't booting up - another indicator the PSU is bad.

One last thought, try the new nVidia 610 in a different computer - if it works, then you can rule that out and it should be pretty quick to check.

Hope this helps.