So over the weekend I managed to cross a HUGE item off my to-do list... The Suicide Door!
Anyone familiar with the Cosmos II doors will know they are a royal PITA to do anything with because they are so complex. Just adding a basic window is a massive undertaking due to the door's varying thickness and compound curves. Well, not only am I adding a window, but I'm also relocating the hinge point of the door from the front of the case to the back, mimicking the old "suicide door" style seen on many custom rods.
This modification affects not only the door itself, but the side bezel and case chassis need to be altered as well. But first up is the door panel. I took the left door, removed the aluminum door skin, and flipped it so the solid part was at the bottom. But in order for the hinges to work properly, I had to harvest it from the other door.
So I took the dremel and separated the hinge from the donor door.
Marked its new position on the back side of the new door.
After removing that portion, I did some test fittings until the new hinge fit perfectly.
Then I glued it into place. I screwed the metal hinge in temporarily to give it more rigidity while gluing and to check for level.
After the initial tacking set up, I used some ABS cement to fill in all the gaps and add reinforcements where needed.
Once the new hinge was in place, I turned the door over and started marking out the window. I added the side scoop on for a quick visual.
After I was satisfied with the window arrangement, I proceeded to cut it out.
Next I prepped the core for foam by taping off the window edges and roughing up all surfaces. Adding foam in the center will allow me to re-skin the door in fiberglass, and also aid in sound deadening.
Let me just state for the record that I despise spray foam in a can! You can never use this crap more than once or twice, otherwise the tip gets clogged, rendering the nozzle useless. So you use a screwdriver to try and clear the passageway, and you end up breaking it off, sending spray foam all over the garage! (TIP: If you get spray foam on your clothes or in your hair, wait until it cures before attempting to remove it. Much easier! lol )
After the foam cured, I took a hacksaw blade to carve away the excess.
I was able to use all the ribbing as a guide to get the foam flush.
And a quick final shot of the door on the case...
Next up I'll get to the door frame and chassis modifications.