Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: DDR4 roadmap?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:07 am 

I'm beginning to think about planning my next build. I've been saddled with DDR2 for far too long now, because I didn't bother looking into what was going on with anything more than CPUs and GPUs when I built my current system, and I don't want to make the same mistake with my next build. As such, I'm wondering if there's anyone out there with an inside line on when we may be able to expect AMD to begin supporting DDR4 on a consumer level.

Please note that I'm not looking for speculation from the rumor mill; I can get plenty of that from Google. According to the rumor mill, we could begin seeing DDR4 anywhere from a few months from now, to as late as Q4 2014. I'm looking for something a little more concrete.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: DDR4 roadmap?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:19 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Considering next gen motherboards are still using DDR3, it's safe to say it won't be at least another year before something comes out. And it may be never, considering that DDR4 requires a radical change in how memory controllers work and Intel and AMD maybe slow to embrace that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:38 pm 

Rumor mill...

Intel's "next gen" motherboards are still using DDR3, but then, Intel's "next gen" generally lasts about, what, 6-8 months? AMD hasn't had a "next gen" motherboard/chipset in ages. As for AMD and Intel being "slow to embrace" changing the interface between CPU and memory, when's the last time AMD was slow to embrace change? And you can bet when AMD jumps on the DDR4 bandwagon, Intel will be sure to follow.

Of course, that assumes that they have much choice. I mean, it's not as though Samsung and Micron are known for pushing a new memory spec by saying "Okay, we're ceasing manufacturing of the old spec," or anything like that. </sarcasm>

Obviously, we can expect DDR4 to hit servers first, since enterprise users are more likely to demand faster, lower-power RAM, and less likely to shy away from the higher cost at launch. The question is, does anyone have any relatively solid information (NOT just more crap coughed up by the rumor mill) on when we should expect to see that, and a rough idea of how long after that we might see it at the consumer level?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:45 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Well okay.

The answer is no. If someone did, it'd be up on every tech news website.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:48 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

If anyone at all is even talking about DDR4 on the rumor mill, never go there again for advice.

You see, the rumor mill I think you're talking about is made of folks that have never designed the stuff or even worked in the field and are just tech bloggers looking to make news for a viewer hit. You can very well get more out of forums and the rumor mill because we don't give a damn about hit counts or selling anything. We're just here to try and give good advice and talk about it.

Only the facts ma'am: DDR3 has not found it's end limits by any means. You could get the fastest, most expensive memory out there, and it does nothing at all to aid in performance. Why would anyone in there right mind push to make a new product when the current stuff is just fine? Sure they could make something faster, but no educated person is really buying that crap.

Add on that the memory controller is on the CPU now and no real Northbridge anymore like your DDR2 system has. Haswell is the next Intel CPU due soon and it has a DDR3 controller. If there's any shift from DDR3 at all in the next 2 years, it will be a power play from AMD and sadly turn out just as bad as RAMBUS was for Intel. That's not on the walls at all and no one is really caring about memory speeds. So it's really all moot. With Intel just winning all over the place, they're not budging on redesigning desktop CPU's just to adapt something unknown.

I really have a gut feeling [misused sic] that DDR3 is here for another 2 years and the next still wouldn't be DDR4...if DDR at all. If anyone at all reports of a new memory format for a system, it will be something very new and worth digging into more. It would be all over the place and be top news from the highest brains in the business...not fucking blogs just reporting stuff they hear and post rumors about.

They're not the rumor mill...they're amateurs and shouldn't report anything. However, to say anything public and factual on any website by anyone that knows how it all works...turns out to be illegal practices and heads roll. So may I suggest this wine sir? It's only my opinion that it's a good wine and you can deny it and I'll find another to fit your tastes.

(In other words, you don't get to read a bloggers resume to even vet them, let alone if they are in the right field. Vet all. Want mine? I'll PM you my resume...but I'd rather have it be somewhat logical and just go with it for you to chew on. No DDR4)