Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need a little help diagnosing
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:27 pm 

Hey everyone, I could use a little help. I am helping some friends with some problems with their laptop. They got a nasty virus a couple weeks ago and had norton go in remotely and remove it. They aren't sure, but they think the problems started after the virus removal and system restore. The laptop is a newer Sony VAIO, not sure of the model.

First problem, and the most frustrating for both me and them, is the wi-fi disconnecting and re-connecting every few minutes. I tried uninstalling the driver, rebooting, and letting it reinstall the driver on its own. Didn't fix it. I then uninstalled the driver, rebooted, then downloaded the driver directly from Sony and installing that one. Didn't fix it. I then got into their wireless router and set everything up from scratch, making sure to set it to a channel that wasn't in use by the (many) other networks in the neighborhood. Didn't fix it. Somewhere along the line I had connected my own laptop to the network, and it did not have any problems whatsoever with the connection. The only thing I haven't checked are the physical antenna connections on the wireless card itself, but I doubt that would cause the problem.

The second problem is Windows Update will not work at all. You start it up, hit "Check for Updates" and it acts like it's checking, then comes up with an error. The error is "Windows could not search for new updates" and has a code of "C0000022." It has an option to try again, but hitting that just gets you the same error. I have not spent too much time on this problem, as I have been focusing on the wireless problem first.

SO, anyone got any suggestions? I have spent several late nights at their house banging my head against a wall trying to figure it out.

Post subject: Re: Need a little help diagnosing
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:15 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If you've tried everything (and check the connections anyway), then it's time to nuke Windows and reinstall it and see if that fixes it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:05 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

That computer doesn't happen to be running Norton Internet Security does it? If yes that could be the reason for dropping wireless and the error code.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:27 am 
Willamette
Willamette

I had a similar problem earlier this week with my Toshiba Satellite Pro laptop (it runs Windows XP Professional SP3), only my wi-fi network connection would freeze and, for some reason, Windows would randomly have problems booting properly if I restarted the computer. After finding both a Trojan and some sort of hijacking malware on my system and removing them, the wi-fi connection would freeze randomly and I would have to hard reset the laptop in order to get back to normal operation. My only recourse was to back up all of my personal data and run the recovery DVDs (which I burned shortly after I received the laptop a few years ago). Whatever the malware was that had caused my problems, removing it only served to leave the Windows installation damaged enough that the recovery was necessary. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:17 am 

I was kind of hoping I wouldn't have to nuke and pave, but that may be the only option left. They don't have recovery disks or a partition as far as I can see, so I was just going to do a clean, fresh install using an oem copy of windows. I just hope the windows key is accepted. Anyone else have any suggestions?

edit: Oh, and yes, they have norton 360 on the laptop. They just bought a 3 year subscription for it. Can norton really be causing both problems? I tried uninstalling norton with that norton removal tool, but it didn't help.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:24 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Sony has no recovery discs available for this laptop? Is there not a utility available on the laptop for creating recovery discs for this particular computer?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:43 am 

I'll bet there is a way to make recovery disks, or they got one but don't remember or didn't know what it was. But doing a clean install will get rid of the sony crapware too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:48 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Before Windows is booting up, press F8 until a menu pops up. Select "Repair this computer", then after going through a few things, select the factory reset option.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:56 pm 

I may try that. Would all their files need to be backed up? They don't have an external hard drive, and mine has gone missing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:00 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

No, factory reset basically restores the laptop the same as the day you got it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:21 pm 

It just bugs me so much, though. I wish I could figure out why the wireless is doing that. And why windows update doesn't work. I'm the kind of person that needs to know why something doesn't work, so I can learn from it and use that for future problems.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:25 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

C0000022 Error

You are not the only one to have that error and issues after using Norton.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:32 am 

Yeah, I saw a lot of people having problems with norton and windows update. I found this http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-3 ... td-p/32584 and was going to try it. Not the same error code, but similar symptoms.

Anyone got any ideas on the intermittent wireless?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:04 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

There is probably a corrupt driver or Windows System (read Firewall) File. I had a real issue a time back with my mom's computer refusing to use Remote Assistance after a virus, I went through everything I could think of even ran SFC to no avail, and ended up do a reinstall.

Run through this KB Article on how to use SFC, and see if that helps your wireless. I would also remove the drivers, use Driver Sweeper to get rid of all instances and references to that card and driver, then run CCCleaner to repair any registry issues, and run until its clean (might take 3-4 runs). Then reboot and install the drivers fresh.