Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: buget LoL/Guildwars2 rig
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:30 am 

I'm new to building a custom PC
My, the task is daunting given all the info i'm trying to digest.Right now I'm running on an Inspirion 1501 slightly modified with more RAM...it plays League but hardly....I need something that will run these games and last a bit... I'm not sure if i can save much on cost or have a completely new build that is cheaper... the one i'm looking at is below in pictures cost is about $742+S&H

*Note I have no PC monitor here so I had to pick one up too. Also, I do like the 8GB ram but if the performance won't be affected I can do less... I do skype while playing both games/surfing the net*

let me know how you think it will hold up and if i can go a cheaper/better route:

thank you for your help,
the_amazing_gimp :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: buget LoL/Guildwars2 rig
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:21 pm 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

Well I'm going to suggest a lot of changes to your build, it will be slightly more expensive but I notice that you didn't include a power supply in your build so the difference in cost really is just the PSU. Here is what I would recommend:

CPU: Intel i3 3220 - Only slightly more than a 2100 and there's really no good reason to go with previous generation equipment for the small difference in cost

Motherboard: ASRock B75 PRO-3M - I wouldn't touch a Foxconn motherboard with a 200 foot pole much less a board using the old as heck H61 chipset. With a B75 board you get the vast majority of features that a modern board supports

RAM: Corsair XMS3 2x4GB DDR3-1600 - Corsair makes nice RAM but you're way overpaying by going with Dominator RAM for this build

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition - A Radeon 6670 is weak to say the least and wouldn't do very well driving GW2 and may even have some issues with LoL. A 7770 will be able to handle itself much better than a 6670

Hard Drive: Stuck with the same, would love to add an SSD but the budget you've given really doesn't allow for it

PSU: Corsair CX-500 - You need one in order for your PC to work and if the HEC case you're looking at came with one I still wouldn't trust it

Case: Fractal Design Core 3000 - A far better designed case than the HEC you're looking at.

The speakers, OS, monitor & DVD burner are all fine as is although I would encourage squeezing a bit more out of the budget if possible to see about bumping the video card up to a Radeon 7850 if at all possible. The total cost for my proposed build is $815.89 not including shipping & handling.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:50 pm 

thank you so much....whats 60-70$ for more power and sustainability.

I'll have to build this nd see what I can do about getting the higher end card too.

Like I said I'm a noob and didnt know if that would be a decent build...much thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:57 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Re: nsafreak's build
Its good. I was going to say the same things. About the PSU, I think OP's HEC case comes with a PSU (low quality though).

My suggestions:
Take the AMD route with an FX-4100 CPU

He's only playing LoL/Guildwars. They're not that intensive, are they? I was going to suggest AMD 7750 for around $90.

Regarding case and PSU, I was going to suggest the Rosewill Redbone+Corsair Builder 500W. But turns out the Newegg sale is over today and the price jumps $40 for them together.

The RAM, go with an 8 GB stick. The mobo I suggest below only has 2 slots. I don't think dual channel will have such a noticeable affect.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($69.99 @ Microcenter)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver Arctic Alumina Premium Ceramic Polysynthetic 1.75g Thermal Paste ($3.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($49.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Hitachi 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($55.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7750 1GB Video Card ($78.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill REDBONE ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.97 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Full (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VE198T 19.0" Monitor ($107.58 @ Newegg)
Speakers: Creative Labs A220 9W 2.1ch Speakers ($29.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $643.42
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-01 22:51 EDT-0400)

That $643 price is no longer true tomorrow because some of the rebates expired. I think it might be in the $750 range. But you get a better case, PSU, and GPU*. Also, OP posted all Newegg products so I assumed that is the main shopping method.

Also, OP, go use http://pcpartpicker.com to work out the build. A Newegg screenshot is hard to work with.

*My knowledge of GPUs is low. The 7750 is higher up than the 6670 but the one I posted is 1GB (OP had 2GB). I am not sure how that affects the GPU's performance.

EDIT:Hmm, why did I get non-Newegg parts? I must have clicked something else on pcrpartpicker. Oh well, I'll build another tomorrow. I hope I gave some hints.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:18 pm 

also I'll need a wireless card as the router is at the other end of the house in an office...not sure if this is included or not(man these numbers kill me ><)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:30 pm 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

Nope, hadn't included a wireless card and most motherboards (save the premium models) typically don't come with one. Still they're not too expensive you can get a decent one for $25-$30.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:46 am 
Team Member
Team Member

nsafreak wrote:
Nope, hadn't included a wireless card and most motherboards (save the premium models) typically don't come with one. Still they're not too expensive you can get a decent one for $25-$30.

wifi cards can be had for $20 or less (especially on sale). Just read newegg reviews before you buy to check for consistent problems

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:04 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Ok, I got another build for you:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver Arctic Alumina Premium Ceramic Polysynthetic 1.75g Thermal Paste ($3.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($51.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB Video Card ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N150PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill REDBONE U3 ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Full (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VE198T 19.0" Monitor ($107.58 @ Newegg)
Speakers: Creative Labs A220 9W 2.1ch Speakers ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $710.47
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-02 21:04 EDT-0400)

All on Newegg. Prices and equipment change so this is just a guide. I went with the older AMD instead of the FX-4100. I heard that the AMD Phenom II might be better for your type of gaming.

The monitor, speakers, network card, etc are just fillers to give a good estimate of total cost. Buy them later or on sale or whatever.

PSU prices change every day (sales and deals), but if you stick with good budget brands like Antec, Corsair, Cooler Master, etc you will do fine. Stay away from HEC and lower brands.

Plan your build right, and you might save more money but this looks like a good budget setup.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:01 am 

I appreciate all the feed back and suggestions guys...I'm just wondering where I can find in depth information on these parts that I noob can understand....some of the information I've been able to find other bits I've not(then again I haven't looked at al the topics in the forums yet...I do like the last build as Ive always been a fan of Amd...I'll have a build up in a few days after i learn more about the components... thank you all for your input! It truly means alot.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:22 am 
Team Member
Team Member

the_amazing_gimp wrote:
I appreciate all the feed back and suggestions guys...I'm just wondering where I can find in depth information on these parts that I noob can understand....some of the information I've been able to find other bits I've not(then again I haven't looked at al the topics in the forums yet...I do like the last build as Ive always been a fan of Amd...I'll have a build up in a few days after i learn more about the components... thank you all for your input! It truly means alot.

Google. You can read reviews on products from Maximumpc.com, anandtech.com, tomshardware.com

You can make a new threads in the Help Me Plan/Help Me Build forum regarding specific questions.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:29 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Use a search engine with the word "review" attached at the end regarding a specific part. But if you're looking for generic information, that's a little more hard to find other than "grab some benchmark information and make your own conclusions"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:50 am 

ok, so I like the case here a bit better....I want to make sure the components stay cooler longer so I chose the fans and cpu cooler...i think the motherboard only has slots for one case fan and cpu fan....how could I get the other case fan in so I have both intake and exhaust?.....

the build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/the_amazin ... saved/1qdT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:34 am 
Team Member
Team Member

the_amazing_gimp wrote:
ok, so I like the case here a bit better....I want to make sure the components stay cooler longer so I chose the fans and cpu cooler...i think the motherboard only has slots for one case fan and cpu fan....how could I get the other case fan in so I have both intake and exhaust?.....

the build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/the_amazin ... saved/1qdT

You probably only need one intake and one exhaust fan. You don't need to connect the fans to the mobo. Most fans have a big Molex plug that you can connect to the molex connector of PSUs. Buy a cheap quiet fan like Kingwin Longlife fans. I have 2 and they are quiet and keep things cool.

Edit: looked at your build. Unless your room is hot, I doubt you need the Xigmatek cpu cooler. Those Turbine fans are probably loud. People go overkill on cooling nowadays.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:40 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

phillyj wrote:
Edit: looked at your build. Unless your room is hot, I doubt you need the Xigmatek cpu cooler. Those Turbine fans are probably loud. People go overkill on cooling nowadays.

There's nothing wrong with spending $30 on a decent aftermarket cooler. It's people who spend $100+ on water cooling I have a problem with.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:36 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

LatiosXT wrote:
phillyj wrote:

There's nothing wrong with spending $30 on a decent aftermarket cooler. It's people who spend $100+ on water cooling I have a problem with.

Hyper 212 Evo + 2nd fan added on, enough said. Keeps a wildly overclocked i7 950 ticking nicely enough.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:03 pm 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

Not a huge fan of Phenom IIs they tend to be a bit more power hungry and generate a bit more heat than the i3/i5/i7s. However the Phenom II x4 965 BE holds up reasonably well against an i3 3220 it's just against higher end Intel CPUs that AMD tends to get destroyed nowadays. I would recommend ditching the PSU you have and go with either the Corsair I recommended or something from SeaSonic, Corsair or Antec that's within your budget as this is one area of the build that you definitely do not want to cut corners and while Cooler Master makes decent cases their power supplies aren't so great. Also I would recommend going up from the 7750 to a 7770 if at all possible, there is a noticeable difference between the two.