Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Minecraft requires Java
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:50 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:49 am
Posts: 375
How is it that Minecraft requires Java to be installed on your computer?

Seriously, how many games out there require Sun's giant security hole to run?

My kid was begging for this game. Only after paying for it do I learn it requires Java.

Seriously, WTF?

I will admit it looks and runs better on a PC than on the consoles, but who the hell puts Java into a video game? Java needs to vanish from the face of the earth and take Adobe Flash with it.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Minecraft requires Java
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:03 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:37 pm
Posts: 5109
tehR0XX0Rz wrote:
How is it that Minecraft requires Java to be installed on your computer?

Because it's programed in Java, duh.

Quote:
Seriously, how many games out there require Sun's giant security hole to run?

A lot. Mostly web based stuff.

Quote:
My kid was begging for this game. Only after paying for it do I learn it requires Java.

Seriously, WTF?

I will admit it looks and runs better on a PC than on the consoles, but who the hell puts Java into a video game? Java needs to vanish from the face of the earth and take Adobe Flash with it.

Because Notch used Java.

If you have such a paranoid issue with security (which really, you probably half a dozen other security holed software that's just as bad), then run it in a sandbox or VM or something.

Also do you use Android? Because most of of Android's apps are Java based.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Minecraft requires Java
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:34 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:49 am
Posts: 375
Problem with Java is that Sun Microsystems has always been slow and sloppy responding to security threats.

Maybe you work for them, but most commentary I've read involves recommendations for removing it from one's PC because it is generally considered a high security risk.

At the least, people recommend disabling Java when not running the game.

How many games out there are coded in Java? One? It's ridiculous. I realize Persson is a good guy with a big heart, but Java puts PCs at risk. It's a big, fat target. Always has been.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Minecraft requires Java
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:54 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:37 pm
Posts: 5109
What bugs me here is you're whining about why Minecraft uses Java on this forum when you're better served doing that at a Minecraft forum or emailing Notch directly. Again, if you want to keep your son happy but avoid the security risk, run it in a sandbox or VM.

But besides that, if you looked at his Wikipedia bio, he looks to be most educated in Java. If you're going to code a program and you know several languages, chances are you'll use the programming language you're most comfortable with.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Minecraft requires Java
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:44 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:23 am
Posts: 2627
Location: Folding as BlackSun59
What the hell does anyone have to do to get a Java problem or exploit on their computers? I've gone to plenty of nasty websites and downloaded all sorts of software over the years and I've yet to get even one virus or trojan, never mind a Java issue. Then again, I run antivirus software.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Minecraft requires Java
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:54 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:37 pm
Posts: 5109
OvenMaster wrote:
What the hell does anyone have to do to get a Java problem or exploit on their computers? I've gone to plenty of nasty websites and downloaded all sorts of software over the years and I've yet to get even one virus or trojan, never mind a Java issue. Then again, I run antivirus software.

AV software doesn't protect you against exploits. But otherwise you have a point, OP is probably running a half dozen other programs with equally nasty security holes. Java is one of many problems he can lose sleep over.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Minecraft requires Java
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:39 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:09 pm
Posts: 565
LatiosXT wrote:
AV software doesn't protect you against exploits. But otherwise you have a point, OP is probably running a half dozen other programs with equally nasty security holes. Java is one of many problems he can lose sleep over.


Is this the Java vs JavaScript confusion?

After all, Java is a core programming language. Most CS programs in college teach either C or Java for freshman.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Minecraft requires Java
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:55 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:37 pm
Posts: 5109
Java can run untrusted code in its run time environment, which may have undesirable effects on the system. And there's no real security for this. The way you add mods into Minecraft? Rename minecraft.jar to minecraft.zip, open it up, add the mod's .jar file, change minecraft.zip back to minecraft.jar.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Minecraft requires Java
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:46 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 5:42 am
Posts: 7
Heck, I'm glad Notch coded it in Java. That made it easier for him to port it to other Oses. Be it Windows, Mac or Linux, it just works.

It is the one game I'll be able to take with me as I dump Windows and move to Linux.


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group