Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need suggestions on backing up data
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:39 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hello, I need advise on how to back up my hard drive other than the drop and drag to an external drive. Im not very computer literate so simplicity is key. Back ground story is I have lost two hard drives in the past 12 months and I really need to learn how to back up my data and how to manage my data as well. Can anyone recommend a program I can purchase that will allow me to back up my hard drive and files? I have read that Norton Ghost is a decent program but there are many others i have read about and am getting confused. I dont mind spending money since you get more features over the free versions. Also, is there a place I can go to read or learn how I should be managing my hard drive and data more efficiently than I currently do. Im not a power user on the computer so my files and programs are small and few. I have just purchased but not installed a new 1TB HD and am going to install Win 7 OS, previous os was WinXP.

Thanks for reading.
Jack

Post subject: Re: Need suggestions on backing up data
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:10 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Yes. There is a great program called Fbackup that I use that is FREE or paid if you want a few extra features that in my opinion are not necessary.

Very easy to setup. If you need help setting it up PM me your number and I will call you and walk you through it. Basically you will want to use the advanced setup as I find it easier. User the Mirror Setting this way it backs up only the changes since the last backup and not a full backup everytime. Your hard drive will fill up otherwise after 3 or 4 backups.

I know you are wondering so here it is:

FULL - Makes a complete backup of your data

Incremental - Backs up data since the last backup. The positive side to this is backups are much shorter. The negitive side is that restoring takes much longer. Reason why is let's say your drive got tosted. You have to restore the Full backup + every single incremental in order. Also if even one incremental gets corrupted your restore will fail.

Differential - Backs up only the changes since the last full backup. The positive side to this is restores are much faster as you only need the full + the last differential. Negitive is backups take longer.

Mirror - The same was the Incremental but without compression and does not have multiple files.

Both Incremental and Differential backups create multiple files. I personally would raterh have a single file that has all the changes since my last backup.That is why I like Mirror. The hard drives these days are so large I don't care about compression. Who actually has 2 TB or data anyhow; unless you are a company that is.

http://www.fbackup.com/quick-download.php

Post subject: Re: Need suggestions on backing up data
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:50 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Thank you Flipper, I will check it out.

Jack