Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Getting Back in the game: Multimedia editing build
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:39 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

I am a little behind the times, as it has been a while since my last build. I am building a machine for a family member who does primarily heavy Photoshop/animation. They want to keep it around $1,200 and can only recycle mouse and keyboard (a recent Apple convert). They also are interested in eventually using Premier and After Effects. She doesn't use for gaming and there won't be any overclocking.

Here is what I was thinking:

Case: NZXT Phantom 410 $89
Motherboard: ASRock z75 PRO3 LGA 155 $77
CPU: i7-3770 Ivy Bridge $290
RAM: 16 GB GSkill Rip Jaw X Series $108
OS SSD: 840 Pro Series 128GB $140
Files HDD: Seagate SV35 1TB $110
PSU: Corsair CX600M $80
CD Drive: Asus 24x DVD Burner $20
Monitor: Dell U2312HM IPS Monitor $220

All that comes in around $1,300

She wants it to last a long time, and I wanted to leave headroom on the power supply for a modest graphics card (for eventual video editing horsepower). Will the integrated graphics on the i7 be plenty for Photoshop?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I plan on starting soon so any ideas on current sales you've seen would be cool too! What are your thoughts? Overkill? Compatibility issues? Any big oversights?

Thanks in advance. This board has always been an awesome resource!

Post subject: Re: Getting Back in the game: Multimedia editing build
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:03 am 
Team Member
Team Member

MUTiger wrote:

Here is what I was thinking:

All that comes in around $1,300

She wants it to last a long time, and I wanted to leave headroom on the power supply for a modest graphics card (for eventual video editing horsepower). Will the integrated graphics on the i7 be plenty for Photoshop?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I plan on starting soon so any ideas on current sales you've seen would be cool too! What are your thoughts? Overkill? Compatibility issues? Any big oversights?

Thanks in advance. This board has always been an awesome resource!

I don't see any problems. It's not too expensive considering that most builds I see are just for the PC (sans $200 monitor). Did you build it? The only thing is the case. Wouldn't your friend have wanted something more conservative, like a white Fractal? Would sort of remind her of her Apple.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811352024

Post subject: Re: Getting Back in the game: Multimedia editing build
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:32 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I am not well versed on the hardware requirements of photoshop, premiere, etc., however I think skipping on a discrete graphics card is really going to put the person at a disadvantage. I've found some cheaper alternatives to your items:

That saves ~$170 - enough for a decent mid-range GPU. Few other things to consider:
  • I think the hyperthreading will help, but for the price difference a 4-core i5 might be an option. That can add another $70-90 to a GPU
  • Is an SSD really necessary? Keep in mind that with an SSD, the person has to know when/how/where to properly save their data. Personally, I'm aware of the issues and I'll be conscious enough to remember; my family...? Not a chance. I'm not trying to insult anyone, but the more complex you make the rig, the more a person has to know on how to maintain it. It might be easier to go with a hybrid drive like the Momentus XT. If you insist on using an SSD, maybe you could try Intel's SRT technology with a small SSD. That would save some money that could be used somewhere else. Just a thought.

Hope this helps.