Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Upgrading my laptop's wireless card.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:49 pm 

So I have a really difficult time connecting to things with my current laptop's wireless card (it's an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235), so I'm planning to upgrade it to a higher ranged card. I've heard good things about Bigfoot Networks' wireless cards, and I trust Intel's quality. Here are the three options I came up with. Keep in mind the inside of my laptop only supports two antennae. I'm not prepared nor willing to do any modding (even if it's possible) to get it to accept 3 antennae.

"Visiontek" Killer Wireless-N 1202 (okay...so I'm pretty sure it's Bigfoot as the branding's pretty much the same, could someone enlighten me? This also has Bluetooth support)
Bigfoot Networks Killer Wireless-N 1103 (this one has 3 slots, should work with two antennae running at a max of 300mbps, right? Based on Killer Gaming's wireless info page, it has no Bluetooth support which I'm fine with)
Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 (so I know I said my current Intel card is pretty bad, but I trust Intel's "best of the best" in any category to give me a satisfactory performance. Also, I assume it has Bluetooth support since my current card supports it)

I plan to decide between the two Bigfoot Networks cards, then compare the winner to the Intel one.

Questions I have about these options:
1. Between the two Bigfoot Networks cards, which one is the best to get if I only can use two antennae? I know the 1103 outperforms the 1202 when used to its maximum potential, but what if only two are used?
2. Based purely on personal opinion, if the 1103 is better than the 1202 with two antennae, is getting the 1202 still worth it just for the Bluetooth?
3. After you assess which of the Bigfoot ones to pick, would you recommend the Intel one (with two antennae, as stated) or the Bigfoot choice?

Thank you for reading that entire rant about a wireless card upgrade, and for providing your opinions. :D

Post subject: Re: Upgrading my laptop's wireless card.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:33 pm 

Are there any people who can offer me insight on ONE of these cards, if they've used it before?