Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Budget PC Build
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:38 am 

Alright, so I'm wanting to build my first PC and after going through different forums and reading up on material, I figured I'd post my concerns here. I needed something that I could play SC2 on at least minimum settings without having to worry about getting into large battles, as well as EVE Online (preferably in HIGH settings), and something for Diablo 3. So without wasting anymore of your time, I'll start with what I am recycling from my old desktop.

-Already Owned-
Apevia X-Discovery
Gateway 19" Monitor
Basic PS/2 Keyboard
Optical USB Wireless Mouse

-What I Need-
MSI Z77a-G4- MOBO
Intel i3-3220 CPU
Apevia 700W PSU
Seagate 500GB HDD
Pareema 4GB DDR3 RAM
ASUS GT640 2GB Video Card
Rosewill Wireless PCI Adapter
ASUS DVD Drive
CM Hyper 212+
I didn't think I'd need to link but was going to buy Arctic Silver 5 (since you all seem to swear by it lol) and of course Windows 7 HP 64-bit.

-Now for the concerns!-
I cross checked the mobo at MSI site and it listed the CPU as compatible with x BIOS version... Now if said mobo comes with an earlier version how would I install the hardware if incompatible? Also, does anyone who owns the Hyper 212+ know if it would fit in my case... I can but out a ruler if need be and give you specs from the mobo tray to the side panel. I know this build seems really cheap (because it's less than 600$) but will everything work? (DOA not withstanding) Also, is there something I should look into upgrading first when money allows, such as the crap RAM I chose.

Post subject: Re: Budget PC Build
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:24 am 

I would suggest going with this 500W power supply from corsair as it will most likely be more reliable than the Apevia and it's only $20 more than the one you chose. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027 $60

You should go with a B/G/N wireless adapter as the one you selected is a B/G only adapter. Here's one I suggest it's usb powered, but it has better performance than the one you chose.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166068 $17

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:58 am 

Alright thanks for the help... Also, would that 500W be alright if I chose to upgrade to maybe a nVIDIA 650? I read on EVGA website that it only needs a minimum of 20A, but I just want to make sure by someone who knows something, lol
For the Wireless USB Adapter, is it better plugged into a 3.0 port?
One more question... I'm thinking about getting an SSD drive (at a later date when funds are allowed), but I want it just for the OS and updates, happen to know a good size and brand to go with that won't set me back too much?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:16 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

bhavoc12 wrote:
Alright thanks for the help... Also, would that 500W be alright if I chose to upgrade to maybe a nVIDIA 650? I read on EVGA website that it only needs a minimum of 20A, but I just want to make sure by someone who knows something, lol

Those sorts of thing assume a worst case scenario so you can skirt by with less. If we want to look at this in a little more "scientific" fashion, let's check AnandTech's review. So at full load it's barely tipping the power consumption of 20A @ 12V (240W). This is also a X79 system with a Core i7-3980X. So I suspect you really only need 15A @ 12V, for absolute worst case.

Quote:
For the Wireless USB Adapter, is it better plugged into a 3.0 port?

If it's not a USB3.0 adapter, it's not going to matter. Even if it is, if it's wireless speed isn't going over 300Mbps, it also isn't going to matter.

Quote:
One more question... I'm thinking about getting an SSD drive (at a later date when funds are allowed), but I want it just for the OS and updates, happen to know a good size and brand to go with that won't set me back too much?

Bare minimum for this sort of thing is 64GB. But 128GB is reasonably cheap these days and roomy.