Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: mATX budget PC for office use
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:21 am 

Hi guys! I would like to ask for a help regarding building my own mATX office PC. I want to build this office PC as cheap as possible, however still using good quality components and also in low cost getting a good compatibility. Please if u could check my list of components that I choose to build this small office PC. Any comments and recommendations are welcome! Thank u.

One more thing. The MB MSI that I choose, based that I wish to have a USB 3.0 slot and also HDMI output, I would like to ask u about it. For now I will get a standard HDD with a SATAIII, and later I would like to buy a SSD to house the OS of my PC. But, this MSI MB as I understood has a 1 slot for SATAIII and 3 slots for SATAII. So, the one SATAIII slot I will be using for my new SSD and the other 2 SATAII slots for standard HDD and a DVD. Is it a good solution?

Thanx

Post subject: To the previous post - low budget office PC
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:27 am 

components:
1. MSI B75MA-E33 http://www.msi.com/product/mb/B75MA-E33.html#/?div=Manual
2. Intel celeron G1610, 2.6GHz, Ivy bridge
3. Corsair XMS3 DIMM 4GB DDR3, 1600MHz
4. Western Digital WD5000 AZRX, 500GB
5. PSU - Fortronn SFX FSP300-60GHS, 80+, 300W
6. Case - Eurocase MC8107

Post subject: Re: mATX budget PC for office use
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:59 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Welcome to the forums!

Just a few comments/questions/observations:
  • If you plan on installing a SSD later, go ahead and install the HDD and DVD drive into the SATA2 slots now. It will make configuring your computer easier when you do. Plus, there is little (if any) benefit of having the HDD in the SATA3 slot.
  • At first glance, everything looks fine. You don't mention an OS - if you plan on using Windows that's going to cost money.
  • Also, you don't mention a DVD drive - do you already have that?
  • Finally, are you sure you want to put in an SSD? That's a very high-end component that you're putting into a very low-end computer. A 240GB SSD will cost as much as the rest of your computer.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:43 am 

Hi! Thank you for your advice! Very glad that I can get someone elses opinion. Well, actaully I did a small change regarding the MB, this is the new one > http://www.msi.com/product/mb/H61MA-E35--B3-.html ; this way solving the problem of SATAIII slots. on this MB I have 2 :) .but, I guess regarding the SSD u r completely right, its costly, although I have in my mind to get a small capacity maybe 64GB SDD, where I would install just the OS and the standard HDD I would use for my files. DVD drive Ive got new one and the OS, im going to use a WIndows 7, which I ve got also with a multilicense. so yeah I save on OS, DVD and well, the processor will be just a simple one, but hope good enough for my work.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:47 am 

another thing bothers me lately, regarding the RAM. well the MB supports 1066,1333,1600. but which one is recommended to choose? some folks told me to go with 1333 MHz. or the difference is actually noticed just in gaming or high performance PCs? and one more Q: should I buy RAM with a cooler strip or without? does it even play a role in my simple office PC? Thanx!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:46 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I've noticed that RAM speed really doesn't seem to matter. Windows 7 felt just as responsive on a DDR2-667 machine as it did on a DDR3-1600 machine. If you can afford it though, it doesn't hurt to get DDR3-1600, but no faster.

Also if it has a fancy heat sink, avoid it. RAM heat sinks these days are just snake oil.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:49 am 
Team Member
Team Member

kiretefu2 wrote:
another thing bothers me lately, regarding the RAM. well the MB supports 1066,1333,1600. but which one is recommended to choose? some folks told me to go with 1333 MHz. or the difference is actually noticed just in gaming or high performance PCs? and one more Q: should I buy RAM with a cooler strip or without? does it even play a role in my simple office PC? Thanx!!

Just go with whatever is on sale. I think 1333 or higher would be fine. I doubt you will see much difference. I got the XMS RAM you wrote of. It's fine.

You have to consider your room temperature for the computer and the case itself. People who do lot of heat generating tasks probably would see a difference. It looks cool but not like you care.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:21 pm 

Thank you guys for useful tips! Im going to order the baby PC :)