Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: WHS Backup problem
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:54 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

I just had to re-install WHS (classic) and transfer everything back to it. This was due to a failing HD that the server didn't identify so I had to copy everything off and find the bad drive, then replace it and re-install. Here's the problem. Transferring the files back to the server went just fine, with transfer speeds averaging about 46Mps per Teracopy.

However, I am trying to back up my main rig and the transfer speeds are crawling. I mean down around 250Kps. The main rig is built on an ASUS P8P67 Deluxe and is using the on board NIC. The WHS server has a PCI-E Intel GB card in it. I am only attempting to back up 2 drives, which are the boot SSD and the 2TB program drive, which is about half full. So far it is averaging about 3GB/hour of data transfer buring the backup. After some research on the internet I found that some people were having this issue if the HD's had any errors, so I ran chkdsk/f on both drives, and that did not change anything. In the past 6 hours it has gone from 69% to 71%.

Any ideas on this? What I can't figure out is why a simple file transfer would be so fast while the backup would be so slow. The only reason I am using WHS is for the automated nightly backups. I also have a FreeNAS server that I use for file storage. Is there a program out there that can do automatic backups to the NAS box similar to what WHS does nightly? If there is a good solution I would just rebuild this one as another FreeNAS box and get rid of WHS altogether.

Thanks guys...

Post subject: Re: WHS Backup problem
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:28 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

Bringing up old experience in the aft brain:
(disclaimer: I decommissioned my WHS v1 box last fall, in favor of a Server 2012 Essentials box. And, I don't think I'd had to do an initial backup to that WHS box in a couple of years...)

IIRC, the initial backup for a client PC tends to be painfully slow. And, obviously, the more data you have to back up, the worse it'll be. You do have >1TB to back up.....
I'd say, just let it finish. Subsequent backups should be quick & painless.