Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Computer "lags" randomly
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:51 am 

Ok so I thought this was an issue with LoL since it only seemed to happen in there, but this morning the issue occurred when I first booted up.

So my computer randomly lags. By lag I mean, the video freezes, the audio freezes (loops the last 0.1ish seconds), the cursor freezes, etc. Everything "freezes" for 1-2 seconds and then comes back to normal. Anywhere from 3-5 seconds later, it happens again. This will go on anywhere from 30 seconds to indefinitely until I restart the computer.

Like I said, I thought this was an issue with LoL and maybe being installed on a semi-old HDD so I tried reinstalling it onto my SSD and it seemed to fix it, but now it seems like LoL isn't the problem at all.

What could be causing this? I built this PC in June of 2012 and I just started noticing this problem maybe a month ago. My OS and main applications are installed to my SSD so is that thing dying? I heard they don't have the longevity of traditional HDDs but this seems ridiculous. Specs are below as well as a screenshot I took with cpuID while the problem was occurring (if that even helps).

Thanks for your help

Image of CPU ID monitor: http://i.imgur.com/vOk1l0z.jpg

SPECS:
Intel i5 3570K, stock cooler
Asus P8Z77-V LK
OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3
GeForce GTX 670 2GB
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Post subject: Re: Computer "lags" randomly
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:31 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
What could be causing this? I built this PC in June of 2012 and I just started noticing this problem maybe a month ago.
This is going to be very difficult to identify because it sounds like the trigger causing your dilemma occurred about a month ago.

I doubt it's your SSD. While it's a pain, reinstalling everything may be the easiest and quickest option.

Alternatively, I would suggest your try System Restore. Type System Restore into the Start Button and select it. Try to find a point in time past the time you started noting the problem (I don't know how long System Restore keeps snapshots but hopefully you'll find one).

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:47 pm 

At this point I'd rather just do a complete reformat.

So, given that I have a SSD as my main drive, is there anything special I need to know? I know SSDs are sensitive to formatting, defrags, etc (or so I've heard), but can't find any good articles to help explain it in more detail.

Any advice on doing a reformat/reinstallation of Windows 7 on my SSD? I am also going to reformat my 2 traditional HDDs I have installed as well.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:43 pm 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

Nothing special really needs to be done when formatting an SSD for the most part, just format the drive and install Windows. One potential item to check though since I had something similar happen to me and figured out the problem a couple of weeks ago. I'm running CrashPlan Pro as my backup solution and it was set to almost constantly make backups of files as they changed. The problem was that when it was making backups it would lock the files to prevent any changes to those files so sometimes programs that were trying to access & make changes to those files weren't able to so they had to wait for CrashPlan to remove the lock. It was typically a brief 1-2 second hiccup and then things proceeded as normal. I've changed it now so that it simply does a daily backup at 3 am and I haven't seen the problem re-appear since then. So if you're running any backup software you may want to check on how it's setup.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:23 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

I'm going to be the odd man out here and ask what your graphics driver version is. I get these freezes with certain driver versions, occasionally followed by a bluescreen referencing the graphics driver.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:41 am 

Well I reformatted completely and it happened again this morning (thought it was fine after a week of it not happening). This time however, it froze for a second and then didn't happen again. 30 mins later it just froze up completely and I had to do a hard restart.

Noghiri_x : I currently have driver 314.07 (latest)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:11 am 

what is your event viewer saying?

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:55 pm 

Is there a way to test your HDD? It sounds to me like a failing HDD.