Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Double check me on an SSD change out and Dual Boot
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:30 am 

I am currently booting Win 7 Pro 64 bit off an Intel 224 GB SSD and would like to change this out for a Samsung 840 series 500gb SSD and set up a dual boot with Windows 8 Pro 64 bit.
my current rig:
Intel i7 2600k
16Gb DDR3 RAM
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO MB
224 Intel SSD
3 TB Seagate HHD

Part of my motivation for doing this is to install an SSD on my wife's older build (Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit) and dual boot with Windows 8.
Her Rig is currently:
Intel i7 920
6 GB DDR3 RAM
Asus Rampage II Gene MB
1 GB WD SSD

I need a double check on the following the process and set-up:

1. Install the Samsung 840 on my rig and create two partition of equal size.
2. Clone my Intel SSD to one of those partitions.
3. Remove the Intel SSD then install Windows 8 Pro on the other Samsung 840 partition with a dual boot.
4. reformat the Intel SSD to remove the OS. (not sure the best way to do this, boot from an aconis disk and wipe while still in my rig or install in my wife's then wipe)

then

1. install the Intel SSD in my wife's rig (unfortunately the MB doesn't have SATA 3 6gb so won't be able to take full advantage of the SSD's capacity)
2. Install Windows 8 Pro on the SSD and with a dual boot Windows 7 off the HDD.

Does this all make sense? What have I missed. What might I do to improve either set-up?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Post subject: Re: Double check me on an SSD change out and Dual Boot
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:00 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Ah yes. One caveat here. Windows NT 6 (Vista, 7, 8 ) typically installs the bootloader on a separate, smaller partition. I'm not sure you can clone this, because this bootloader is probably very specific, as in, pointing to a hard address where some core Windows files are (Linux's bootloader works like this).

Anyway, follow this tutorial to prep your Samsung 840 after you've cloned the partition http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 10%29.aspx (yes it says Vista and 7, but it doesn't matter).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:17 am 

Thanks LatiosXT,

Does this mean I must re-install Windows 7 on the 840 or should I go ahead and try cloning. What's the best software to uses for this. the 840 comes with its own data-migration software. Any thoughts on this?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:20 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

You can clone the OS partition, but you have to recreate the bootloader. I haven't done what you're doing, but I believe you can add Windows 8 on top of Windows 7 after you've created the bootloader.

And I can't recall if I used Norton Ghost or got fed up with it and used something else.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:00 am 

One more question. The data transfer software that came with the Samsung 840 wants to clone to the entire new disk. When I installed the new SSD I created 2 partitions of equal size but the Samsung only recognizes the entire disk to clone to. Would you use the Samsung software or Acronis, Ghost or some other software and clone to the newly created partition.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:24 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I think I used Easeus Partition Manager Home Edition for this.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:22 pm 

Thanks!
Everything went fine. I did have to repair the bootloader but that also worked well. I had to rename drives for everything to load properly but am now up and running.
mmmh now I have to figure out the best way to wipe the replaced Intel SSD before I put it in the wife's computer. I guess you have to buy the pro version Easeus to create a bootable disk.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:40 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

If you read something about getting CCleaner, disregard. It was under a bad assumption.

See if you can find a tool specifically for wiping your SSD.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:51 pm 

It needs to be a program that can create an bootable disk with which you can reformat or erase the old windows start-up

I did encounter one small hitch which was a bit frustrating.
For those that might encounter the same problem:
When I went into backup and restore thru the control panel it didn't work. No response. I searched the web for a fix and it appears if you ever install Acronis and then uninstall this sometimes turns off backup and restore. My search found all kinds of elaborate registry fixes that you needed to apply. luckily I found the simple one before messing with the registry.
Type in "services" at the start menu and restart backup. Sounds simple but it wasn't obvious, at least to me.