Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Limited Connectivity issue with Windows 8
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:45 pm 

Hello!
My wife recently purchased a new laptop with Windows 8 home 64-bit installed. Shortly thereafter, she bought a new HTC EVO 4G LTE. I rooted this phone, and set up wifi tether, just as I had with her previous phone (a Samsung Galaxy SII). Her laptop will connect to the wifi hotspot, but always shows "limited" on the connection, and will not browse the internet. This never happened with the Samsung, and she is still able to connect and browse by connecting to my rooted SII. However, my desktop running Windows 7, and my laptop running Lubuntu have no issues connecting to, and using, her LTE connection. This tells me the connection on her phone is fine and working properly, and since she can connect to my phone, her network adapter must be working properly. I cannot figure out why, for the life of me, Windows 8 does not like LTE. Honestly, if she had bought a laptop with Win 8 Pro, I would have just downgraded her and went on about my business. Sadly, that option is not open to us. I have searched the internet for days, to no avail. I have disabled and enabled the wifi adapter. I have run the troubleshooter in the Network and Sharing Center (which often returns mixed results, but more often than not, says "the default gateway is not available"). I have turned off the power-saving settings for the adapter itself. Windows claims I have the most up-to-date driver. I'm stumped. If I don't get this fixed, I'm afraid she might do damage to my jewels, since I talked her into getting the new phone in the first place. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Limited Connectivity issue with Windows 8
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:39 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Can you tell what kind of IP address you're getting? I suspect it'll start with 169.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:33 pm 

It starts with 192. And the default gateway matches the IPv4 address.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:29 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I had to get an updated windows utility for my phone to work either tethering or pairing with Bluetooth and trying it that way.

Normally it would push from the phone, but for whatever reason it wasn't work so I had to load it manually. Have you tried that?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:07 pm 

And, strangely enough, it just started working tonight. My wife fired up IE10, and it worked. She thinks it may be a Chrome setting (I didn't try IE--why would I?), but I'm not so sure; why would Chrome interfere with the wifi connection itself? It doesn't make any sense. Anyway, I'm going to mess around in the Chrome settings later on and see what I can find.