Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: XP Service Pack issues..
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:31 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Okay I have an older PC that my mother uses for FB and to play some really simple games. I had to do a format and fresh install due to a lot of corrupted system files.
I reinstalled Windows XP and then ran upgrad to XP Pro and then tried to use the updates but it will not load. It loads to a page and I click on Win XP but thats all it does.. Tried to update IE and install Firefox but both required at least SP1 on XP but I cant get it to update. Any help appreciated..
I did download SP3 but it states that I must have at least SP1 before installing SP3.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: XP Service Pack issues..
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:02 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If you've reinstalled Windows XP while it was connected to the internet, reinstall it without any connection to the internet. It's been proven that a fresh XP machine (I believe pre-SP2) that has an internet connection can easily catch drive-by malware. However I'm certain this only applies if XP is directly connected to the internet, as opposed to going through a router. But this is just a precaution. Do not connect the network until you've installed XP to SP3 and enabled the Firewall. For additional safety nets, install some kind of malware protection like Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware or Microsoft Security Essentials.

Go to http://download.cnet.com/Windows-XP-Ser ... 47919.html to download SP1, put that on a thumb drive.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:25 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

SP3 should contain what's in SP1...

Have you tried to install from the network install file rather then through windows update?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:40 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Thanks guys. I just went ahead and downloaded each SP individually and burnt to CD and installed them that way. Furball, thats what I thought that SP3 had the same files as SP1 but it stated that I had to at least have SP1 installed before I could run SP3.
I got it going now, thats all that matters..
Thanks again guys!