Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Time for a new mouse :?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:20 pm 

Hey all, so I'm actually a long time reader/forums users, but back when the password rules were changed my account was screwed http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1455, not sure if there's anything that can be done for that but here's hoping.
Any way my MS IntelliMouse Explorer 3 Image is having button issues. I really LOVE this mouse, and will hate to see it go, the contour of it really fit my hand well, and I liked the weight of it. but both buttons are getting glitchy and its driving me nuts, I tore it apart, blew it out and still the same issues, so I figure its time for an UPGRADE! I managed to convince the wife some how that letting me get a decent mouse was a good idea LOL, but I have to keep it $60 or less so no R.A.T. for me :(
So what I really need more than anything is a mouse that will hold up to my heavy fingers, when I'm playing COD and WOW LOL. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Time for a new mouse :?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:11 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Why fool around? If you like Microsoft mice (like I do), get another. No reason to spend more if you don't have to. Mine last about 3 years before the left switch starts to fail, so the last time Staples had a sale on Intellimouse 3000's for $8, I bought four of them.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... =Microsoft

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:46 pm 

mostly because I'm tired of the buttons giving out, this is my 3rd one in as many years, and I'm giving up on it. So I think its time for me to try something new.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:53 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Out of all the mice I've used over the years, and I've had like over 5 mice in the past 7 years... I tend to lean towards Logitech if for the design. However I don't really like them over time because they're a grime magnet (on the buttons) and I think their buttons tend to get bouncy too. I've had to toss one prematurely because it kept double clicking when it shouldn't. But I'm no good here. I'm using an HP "Laser Gaming Mouse" that doesn't seem to exist.

Some things to answer though are if you want a form-fitting mouse (it only fits with one hand or the other) or an ambidextrous one. How many buttons you want. Etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:05 pm 

LatiosXT wrote:
Out of all the mice I've used over the years, and I've had like over 5 mice in the past 7 years... I tend to lean towards Logitech if for the design. However I don't really like them over time because they're a grime magnet (on the buttons) and I think their buttons tend to get bouncy too. I've had to toss one prematurely because it kept double clicking when it shouldn't. But I'm no good here. I'm using an HP "Laser Gaming Mouse" that doesn't seem to exist.

Some things to answer though are if you want a form-fitting mouse (it only fits with one hand or the other) or an ambidextrous one. How many buttons you want. Etc.

Thanks for the reply, I can adapt to ambidextrous if needed, I've got a few on other systems, but I prefer the form fitting ones like the MS one I had, right now I bounce between WOW and black ops 2, and as long as its supports "profiles" for different games I don't care as long as it has more than the standard three. really my biggest issue is longevity. I hate finally getting used to a mouse it breaks and having to get a new one, even if its the same mouse, its not the same. ya know? I'm thinking of giving this one a try, I like that it has the Omron micro-switches, they should hold up for a good while, and might even be replaceable if need be.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:23 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Okay to shake things up here, have you seen the new Level 10M....damn?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:23 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Logitech G9x, right at $60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6826104261

I've tried many R.A.T., but the only thing between the RAT3 and the 5 is the thumb wheel that I didn't care about. Very low DPI on the RAT3 compared to the G9x or higher rats, but still a comfy mouse. If you go for the $66 RAT3, don't get glossy.

Both are great mice. One just has 3500dpi and is spec'd lower. I've NEVER had my settings up that high that need 9,000dpi on a steelseries pad. To me, it's about what fits my hand. It's an input device after all. My settings are still low and just fine with that. You can't have a RAT? sure you can!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:04 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I am a fan of the Logitech G500 best mouse I have used in years.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:17 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I'm a big fan of Logitech mice. I currently have a Performance MX, which is great to the exception of battery life, but it just plugs in and becomes a wired mouse until it charges. I have a R.A.T. 9 too, but actually seldom use it unless I'm playing a twitch game.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:16 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

As much as I like Logitech, I always seem to have an issue with them. Either the buttons start to have excessive bounce, registering multiple clicks, or they get really dirty/worn quickly. I have an MX518 that I find icky to use because it accumulates grime somehow and the rubberized coating has peeled.

Also my HP mouse started acting up so I got a RAT 5, which I'm enjoying so far.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:37 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I think you'll like the RAT once you settle on a hand fitment with all the options available. I had teething options with the RAT9, but the 7 and 3 have been my favorite. It's just sad the little RAT3 isn't a $50 mouse as it should be.

Kleinkinstein will grumble at me for mentioning it, but I have a RAT3 in my nasty garage that is still clicking fine and reacting well. Wood dust, grinding, MIG welding and Lucky Strike smoke, and even a beer or 4 spilled on it and it's just going strong. I usually prefer logitech but they don't usually last out here; and if you're going from mouse to mouse, it's just just nice to not have to adapt with different models through the home and have them all similar. The Logitech's have changed so much that they became the black-sheep even within their own brand IMO. I still like Logitech and will quickly suggest them, but behind that suggestion I'm a bit jaded on my personal choice.

You have to admit that the RAT is a scary looking device among non-geek type. "That's a mouse!?" Ya, it's a mouse...get over it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:19 pm 

94mustangv6 wrote:
I am a fan of the Logitech G500 best mouse I have used in years.

I also use logitech g500 its the best of all.