Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: No video, Dell 660 & MSI GT620
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:33 am 

Wife has a Dell 660 (0XR1GT motherboard) with onboard video, I am trying to add a MSI GT620 (N620GT-MD2GBD3/LP). Ok What the problem is.... There is no video out of the GT620 on VGA, DVI, or HDMI and when I say none I mean NONE not even the splash screen, or bios, the monitor sees the card connected but goes to sleep, it never gets a video signal from the card. The motherboard sees the card, when I go into windows with the onboard video the card is in the Device Manager and it says it is functioning properly and I have disabled the onboard video in the DM and yes it is still working even while disabled. Ok What I have tried...Yes all BIOS and Chipsets and drivers are up to date! There is NO place in the bios to shut off the onboard graphics!! There is no jumper that I can find on the MB to change it from onboard to PCI-E. The PC has a 300W PSU which I thought might of been too small so I put in a 650W that I had still nothing! I put the card in my computer and it worked fine. I am unable to put my card in her PC because it is too big. On the phone with Dell for 5 hours and 5 techs and 2 supervisors and they tell me it is a software issue and I had to pay for software tech support. If I am not mistaken I should have video at the Dell splash screen and the BIOS without a hard drive installed so it would not be a software problem. The card has no power plug on it that I can find anywhere. The only thing I can think of is either the card is not compatible or the PCI-E slot is bad (or the auto switch that initializes it). Thanks for the help!

Post subject: Re: No video, Dell 660 & MSI GT620
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:28 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I recently had a similar issue when I upgraded the video card from the basic Intel to a Nvidia card on my dell 755. For some reason I wasn't getting anything out of the new card even tho the fan was running on the card. So while the system was on I unplugged the monitor cable from the new card and into the onboard Intel graphics and I restarted and got the Dell logo like normal then a message from the Bios came up and asked me to switch my monitor cable to the dedicated card and since then it's been working for the most part. I've had a few issues with the new card. Other than that it seems like you've tried everything else. I would say the card is bad but you put it in another system. I would try another card in the system and see if anything comes up.

Post subject: Re: No video, Dell 660 & MSI GT620
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:39 pm 

I am desperate so I will give it a try altho I think I may have already done that. The fan is running on this one also, trying to find someone with a small PCI-E card that I can put in there to see if it works. Still kind of think the MB may be the problem. Thanks for the advice.