Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need a new PC needing advice before tomorrow!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:07 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Hey there again guys, I'm in need of someones awesome help tonight. My main laptop I use on the go just died out on me and I'm in need of a replacement to as I do a lot of work through it as well as game on it a little. Here is my current laptops specs:

Intel Core i5 2430M 2.4GHZ 3.0Ghz Turbo
6GB DDR3 Ram
Intel 3000 HD graphics
640GB Hard drive
Windows 7 Home premium 64bit

I've been browsing tigerdirect because come to find out newegg charges tax and shipping is a bit more expensive. plus I've ordered from tiger recently and they were really fast like next day fast in which I only paid for the basic ground shipping.

Here is what I need it for, new sim city, The sims 3, Civ 5, civ 4, BF3, Need for speed the run.

My current laptop can run all these games but I'm mainly wanting to go to a desktop for screen size and because I want a little more graphics power.

I've looked into some local options and I haven't seen all of what they have but he suggested this system would work as a cheap replacement:

Dell optiplex GX745

Intel Core 2 DUO 3.0GHZ
8GB DDR2 Ram
Not sure of HDD size but I can upgrade that easy.
If I got this they said they can add a Nvidia Geforce 640 2GB and power supply to boost this system.

Now give the above system is a little dated with its core 2 duo processor. it having a maxed 8Gigs of ram is plenty and the video card is what I'm looking for and it falls in my unfortunate emergency budget of $275. I'd be willing to spend more but I need a monitor. as well. Thx for the help in advance!

Post subject: Re: Need a new PC needing advice before tomorrow!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:42 pm 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

That's a pretty old system and a pretty weak video card. What's your budget total with the monitor and what stores are closeby? I would typically suggest Microcenter or Frys if you have one in town.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:43 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

nsafreak wrote:
That's a pretty old system and a pretty weak video card. What's your budget total with the monitor and what stores are closeby? I would typically suggest Microcenter or Frys if you have one in town.

Well with monitor 375. Kinda weak considering I'm needing to do gaming and get a monitor. Sadly there isn't a frys or micro center nearby. All we have is radio shack, a couple small computer stores and best buy and apple of course.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:51 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

A GTX 650 is about the most I would recommend on that system, and those go for about $100. So with $375, you can still get yourself a decent 23" monitor. I wouldn't bother going higher than a GTX 650. The CPU will be the weak link if you put in anything else.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:21 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Thanks for your replies! After reading them and doing more searching for something with a better deal online I ended up getting the system as a temporary system. I ended up getting a different model because they didn't have the one I was told about the prior day. The one I got is:

Dell Optiplex 755 Small form factor desktop, Not the Ultra that Dell has for this series but the next one up

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHZ 1333MHZ FSB 6MB L2 Cache
2GB DDR2 667Mhz 512MBx 4
Seagate 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA
DVD+/-RW Drive SATA
Nvidia Geforce 610 2GB PCI-E video card 820Mhz Graphics clock, 1640Mhz Processor clock, 1000Mhz memory rate.
Windows 7 Home pre 64Bit.

Now I've had the system running for a few hours and for the most part it's pretty fast compared to my laptop. The only big advantage spec wise between my laptops i5 and this C2D is my laptop was 2.4Ghz but could clock up to 3.0Ghz. Also the laptop only had 3MB cache and this has 6MB cache. Now I've noticed a little slow downs on Sim city and weird glitches on Sims 3. Sim city after a little bit runs fairly smooth with settings on medium- High @ 1366x768 Res. Sims 3 at same res and same settings runs kinds fast but a little choppy. I have settings set to medium and high and low for shadows and 4 for lot details. I can see the FPS on that game and I get 40-55FPS but I notice it's a little choppy but fairly smooth. My laptop was really smooth at all high and 4 detail for sims. It also had more Ram and a hard drive with 16MB cache. I do have to say when it comes to loading this game it is very fast but I only have the base game installed.

So knowing that this system is a little outdated I am a little surprised. But I want to get the max potential out of this system before I upgrade again. I'm waiting to see how Haswell does this summer. I do wounder if getting more Ram, Say maxing it at 8GB will increase the performance a little. I already plan on adding in a 1TB 64MB cache 7200RPM hard drive soon. I'm not sure about going all out to 8GB because my laptop had more than plenty with 6GB and I've looked at the prices for DDR2 and it is nuts, This system will take 667, 800 and 1066. Sadly the ram in it would need to be replaced for an upgrade as it it set to 4X512MB sticks.

Again thanks for the help and the continued help.