Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Optical Drive not recgonized on post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:16 am 

Fired up my new build yesterday and everything seemed to go nicely. However upon reviewing the Bios settings the DVD/CD drive did not show, nor did one of my SSD's. CPU, RAM, SSD all were normal. I checked all the cables and they were secure. The optical drive had power, its tray would open. I switched out the sata cable and tried a different sata connection on the MB, and took a working optical drive out of another machine. Same results. Without the optical drive I cannot load my OS. I then flashed the BIOS , but the same issue is present. The motherboard by default puts the hard drives in AHCI Mode when booting. It also has the option once in BIOS to change to IDE Mode, or RAID Mode. I tried IDE Mode, but still no optical drive recognized. I do not want to use RAID. There was a debug code on the MB which translates to "Legacy Boot Event" Nothing in the manual tells me just what that is, and so far doing an online search has not clearly defined just what that code means. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:

ASUS Rampage IV Formula LGA 2011 X79 ATX Intel motherboard
Intel Core i7-3930K LGA 2011
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866 MHZ 32GB
Samsung 840 Pro Series 256 GB SSD's (three)
ASUS GTX680 DirectCU II TOP Edition
ASUS optical drive
Corsair Hydro Series H90
Corsair AX 1200 Watt ATX/EPS modular 80 plus gold

Post subject: Re: Optical Drive not recgonized on post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:19 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
Fired up my new build yesterday and everything seemed to go nicely. However upon reviewing the Bios settings the DVD/CD drive did not show, nor did one of my SSD's. CPU, RAM, SSD all were normal.

Just to be sure, it sounds like you have 2 or more SSDs in the computer since you indicate "one of my SSDs."

It sounds like you've done a good deal of troubleshooting, but to be sure:
  • Remove everything from the computer with the exception of the mobo, CPU, PSU, GPU and RAM - literally take everything else out, including the cables. You should be able to get a basic POST with these items. If true, then move on to the next part (NOTE: you should reduce you RAM to one stick, perform this test, then insert all your RAM and perform this test again)
  • Let's start with the ODD. Attach the ODD to the first SATA connection (add a power plug) and boot up the computer. Does the ODD show? If it does, move to the next step. If not, remove the ODD and put in the known good ODD. Now, does that one show? If the known good one shows, then the first ODD is bad. If neither show, then swap out the cable. Still doesn't show, then it could be the mobo. Before you RMA, search the web to using a search similar to THIS ONE. Play around with the wording, but you might find a solution this way.
  • Assuming the computer is able to recognize the ODD, do the same as above with both SSDs. Same process as above: remove the ODD, insert SSD into the same SATA connector.
  • Assuming the computer is able to recognize the SSDs, you have now verified (a) the first SATA connector is good and (b) your ODDs and SSDs can be recognized.
  • Using the ODD, repeat the same process as in the second bullet, but with each SATA connection. If any SATA connector does NOT recognize the ODD, switch to an SSD and verify it is not recognized either. At this point, you're looking at a bad connector on the mobo and the mobo should be RMA'd
  • Assuming all SATA connectors work properly, begin populating the SATA connectors (starting with SATA0), in order with your SATA devices (SATA0 - SSD1; SATA1 - SSD2; SATA2 - ODD). If possible, use 3 known good SATA cables. See if all three show in the POST. If they DON'T, move the SATA cables around to verify it is not the cables. If you still DON'T see them, then you could be looking at a PSU issue. Swap out the PSU with a known good one. If swapping out the PSU does not yield any results, then you're looking at a bad mobo again.

Based on your comments, my first thought is a faulty mobo; second is the PSU. Give this a try and let us know what happens.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:42 pm 

Thanks Sharptooth, I had three SSD's in the computer. Two were recognized. I will try the more extensive testing and will post my results here. You have been most helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:14 am 

After more troubleshooting discovered I had a bad motherboard. Got a duplicate replacement board and everything is working just fine.