Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Where to start?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:34 pm 

Once I receive all the parts for my new build... I'm fairly confident that I can put them all together. This being my first from scratch build, I don't know what I might run into. Bios for example, Ive heard I may need to change the speed for my memory. If I didn't catch than randomly reading these forums, I probably would have no clue of needing to change that speed.

Does anyone know of some good walk-through videos that might give some hints such as the above memory speed?

Or any hints of problems that I might run into?

Post subject: Re: Where to start?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:40 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I'm going to be a jerk and say RTFM, because configuring BIOS (and memory speed) is in the motherboard's manual. A lot of building a computer and setting things up is reading the instructions.

As for other problems, well, we'll help you solve them when they come. A lot of annoyances in the past (like hard drive jumpers) are done away with.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:45 am 

Didn't know there was a manual. Never had a new motherboard.

Actually, never had a new anything that wasn't prebuilt. All my building has come from used parts picked up along the way.

Thanks for your help though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:17 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
I'm going to be a jerk and say RTFM, because configuring BIOS (and memory speed) is in the motherboard's manual.

I think that's a little mean especially considering how poorly some of the manuals are written.

For the most part, if you buy parts that are compatible with each other, you should be able to get the computer up and running with little fiddling in the BIOS. Using your RAM comment as an example, I've pulled information from the Details tab of this Asus 1155 P8B75-V motherboard:

Memory Standard DDR3 2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066

Here the OC (Over Clocked) means that if you purchase DDR3 at these speeds, then you may need to fiddle with the settings to get them to work optimally. On the other hand, if you buy DDR3 1600 then the board should recognize it easily and run it at its proper setting. I recommend posting the components you plan to buy here and let us look them over. If we see something glaring, we'll let you know.

If you want to learn more about BIOS, the October 2009 edition of MPC has an article that helps explain some of the terms. UEFI is the successor to BIOS but many of the settings will be similarly labeled.

As for building a computer, there are a great number of "How Tos" on the website:

How to set up a new PC the right way
How to Build a Kick-Ass Gaming Rig
How to build an AMD Crossfire Powerhouse

Do your research, but just understand that every build will have it's own unique quirks and you'll have to adjust as you go along. If you do have any problems, remain calm and explain the situation on the Free Clinic forum.

Hope this helps and good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:54 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

btdog wrote:
I think that's a little mean especially considering how poorly some of the manuals are written.

Which is why I said I'm going to be a jerk. So here's a small obligatory rant.
Spoiler: show
What I'm really tired of recently is a bunch of people who want to do all this custom stuff with computers, they want their own computer. But at the end of the day, they don't really know enough of the ins and outs of their machine and have there's been way to many posts where I feel like OP wants someone to hold their hand. Whatever actually happened to being adventurous and stuff? Well sure, you don't want to ruin your $1000 piece of equipment, but unless you were manhandling it or decided "I think 3V instead of 1.8V is a good idea!", you can't really hurt the hardware. Want to see what something does? Try it. How do you think overclockers got to where they are?

The other part of this is because often times you won't ever find the same configuration with the same screen with the same steps to do something. I can tell you all you want to know about changing the memory speed on a computer... for my particular version of BIOS/UEFI. You want to know how to do it on yours? Well I don't know what the hell yours looks like. And having gone through at least five motherboards, all from different manufacturers (AOpen, A-Bit, ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte), I never really had trouble using the manual to get what I want.

Well again, I say RTFM because I don't like hand holding. I don't like feeding you fish. Go learn how to fish. And if you don't want to deal with it, then go buy a boutique gaming computer. It's all done for you and you can have all the free support you want.

Anyway. Happy days!