Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New Build Configuratoin & Question About CPU Cooler
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:50 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Hi Guys and Gals,

Ok, assuming all goes well I will be purchasing the parts for my new build in two weeks. This is what I have so far:

Intel i7 3770K CPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819116501

Asus Z77 P8Z77-V LK Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131837

Samsung 120GB SSD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820147188

Seagate 3TB Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822148844

G.Skill 16GB DDR3 2133MHZ Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820231501

Antec Nine Hundred ATX Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811129021

Arctic Silver Thermal Paste
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835100007

I will be reusing my old BD-RW Drive, 750w OCZ PSU, and my GTX 560 Ti (Until I can upgrade that too). I wanted to know what you guys thought of the build but I also wanted to ask whether an after-market CPU Cooler is really necessary? I'm not overclocking and I've never used one and have only built rigs with AMD CPUs before. If you think it will be necessary, Even in the Antec case with 4 fans, which one do you guys recommend? I would be looking to hopefully snag one for around $30 but can go as high as $50. Oh, and by the way, a cooler that is super easy to install would be best. I don't want to take any chances. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Post subject: Re: New Build Configuratoin & Question About CPU Cooler
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:36 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
I also wanted to ask whether an after-market CPU Cooler is really necessary? I'm not overclocking and I've never used one and have only built rigs with AMD CPUs before. If you think it will be necessary, Even in the Antec case with 4 fans, which one do you guys recommend? I would be looking to hopefully snag one for around $30 but can go as high as $50. Oh, and by the way, a cooler that is super easy to install would be best. I don't want to take any chances. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Necessary? I guess not, but if you get a good one, it will keep your CPU cooler, prolong its longevity, could be quieter and will allow your CPU to benefit from Turbo boost more often.

As for choices, the air-cooling CM Hyper 212 Evo fits the lower end of your budget; it's highly respected on this board and is relatively easy to install. Personally, I like water cooled because they are generally quieter. In your price range, I would recommend the Corsair H50. It's an older model, but very good and I found it easy to install on my build.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:52 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Hi Btdog. Water cooling, eh? I've never even considered it because I thought it was prohibitively expensive but that is an inexpensive water cooler for sure. Another reason I never went with water cooling was the (most likely irrational) fear of putting water IN my computer, lol. I think I might go with the water cooling solution though.

*Edited*

I edited the post I had asked where you put the radiator but I watched a video on it. Looks super easy to install!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:08 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

You don't use thermal paste with a water cooler, correct? Also what would be the easiest way to expand upon this and water cool my memory and graphics card?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:47 pm 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

You still use thermal paste even if you're water cooling, you need something to fill that tiny gap that's going to occur between the water plate and the top of the CPU. Water cooling the video card isn't quite so easy unfortunately. The water cooling solution that btdog gave is a good one but it only works for the CPU and it doesn't allow for expansion of the water loop. To add a graphics card you'd have to get a completely different setup comprised of tubing, radiator, a pump, a reservoir and a plate for the CPU & a plate for the GPU. The GPU isn't always so easy as there isn't a universal way that they're always mounted so you have to get one for your particular card along with taking off the air cooling solution that's currently mounted on it. Unless you're really into overclocking I'd suggest sticking with either the AIO watercooling solution or an air cooled heatsink.

Speaking of RAM however:

1) You don't need to watercool it, that's just silly ;)
2) You're not going to get any benefit from the DDR3-2133 you have listed in your build. Drop it down to DDR3-1600, save your cash and you'll still see the same performance level

Case is personal preference and while I like Antec cases (I have a 300 myself) Fractal Design's cases are even better. I'd highly suggest looking at the Define R4 that's available for even better case design.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:06 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Thanks for your reply. I'd only save around $15 going with 1600MHZ memory. Why is there no performance increase with 2133MHZ memory?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:20 pm 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

I should've phrased it better than there not being a performance increase at all, it's more of a law of diminishing returns equation. As you go up the memory speed scale the less you'll notice the difference between each memory speed kit. For example there's a noticeable performance increase in going from DDR3-1333 to DDR3-1600 however the increase from DDR3-1600 to DDR3-1866 is not as noticeable. Now that's not to say there isn't some kind of performance difference at all, if you benchmark the two there will be differences in terms of speed between DDR3-1600 and DDR3-1866 it's just that in normal day to day use you're very unlikely to notice a difference between the two, even going from DDR3-1600 to DDR3-2133 you're not likley going to notice a difference in real world usage. One other item to note on your build, unless you're planning on doing a lot of virtual machines, heavy video or audio editing I would recommend going from the i7-3770K to an i5 3570K. There is no benefit when it comes to gaming by having the extra hyperthreaded cores that an i7 has over an i5.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:48 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Memory in general is one of those things with rapidly diminishing returns on performance. Going faster/more with RAM will rapidly lose performance. Even using a fabled RAM Disk (where portions of RAM is used like a hard drive) will see a noticeable performance increase, but not a 1 to 1 relationship. And there's always going to a be minimum amount of CPU time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:14 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Thanks for your help and knowledge guys, I've taken all that you said into consideration. The RAM was only $99 for 16GB of 2133MHZ and that was only $5 more than 16GB of 1600MHZ so I think I'm going to go ahead with the 2133MHZ, but thanks for the tip. I have decided to 'downgrade' my CPU to the i5-3570K as was recommended. Other than that all I'm changing is the fact that I'm going to go with a 256GB SSD and the Rosewill Challenger case caught my eye as a great bargain so I think I'm going with that. I'm trying to get the most 'bang for my buck' as most people probably do. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:03 am 
Klamath
Klamath

I've gone buck wild! It's March Madness for real! I decided to get a 500GB SSD for my new build! I've always wanted an SSD to speed things up and I want to do it right and have plenty of room for my 300 steam games. (Ok they won't ALL fit but I have a 2TB Drive for the rest, lol). Here is my updated configuration. This may change in the next two weeks before I order my parts but I don't know... it's a nice'un. Whattya think?

Recycling Blu-Ray Drive, a GTX 560 Ti Video Card, and a 750w Power Supply:

Intel i5-3570K Processor
Corsair Hydro H50 CPU Cooler
Samsung 500GB Solid State Hard Drive
Seagate 2TB Hard Drive
MSI Z77A-G41 Z77 Motherboard
G.Skill 16GB DDR3 2133MHZ Memory
Rosewill Challenger ATX Case
Cooler Master Recon Optical Mouse
Belkin Surge Protectors (3)

All this comes in at around $1000.

Then when I get a little spare cash I'm going to pop in a Sapphire Radeon 3GB 7950 Video Card for $289.99 (+$20 rebate, + 2 Free Games)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:18 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Hi,

If anyone could tell me if the Rosewill Challenger ATX Mid Tower Case can house all the modern video cards I'd very much appreciate it. In the description it says the dimensions of the case are
18.50" x 7.48" x 17.08" if that helps. I don't know which one is length though. Damn the public education system!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:30 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
in general, measurements are height, width, depth.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:13 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Ok, thanks!