Antec Earthwats 650W 80plus Bronze power supply
1 x AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core
ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD
4 x G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR
1 x Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
1 x Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s
1 x Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit
3TB External Hard Drive

My pc was initially built for gaming and now I have modified it for video editing as well. However recently while playing games such as Planetside 2 , Natural Selection 2 and even Borderlands 2 I have had a distinct lack of performance. In PS2 never going above 30fps, NS2 was less then 45 and BL2 getting around 45 on highest settings. Now I know that the 690 and my CPU can do much more then that. And when I monitor them while playing I notice that both are hardly being utilized over 50-60%. Why is this happening? I have my Nvidia drivers current and all my windows and game updates current. Could my Power supply be limiting them? I do have a Rosewill 1300W 80 PLUS GOLD Certified ATX12V/EPS12V Power Supply coming in (hopefully) if Amazon can ever find the one i ordered. I just am getting mixed signals on whether this will actually help or not. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Games aren't fully utilizing my GPU & CPU
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:56 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Well...

650W is barely enough to cover a GTX 690 system if anything. So yeah, you should probably replace that.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:06 pm 

Yeah I am in the process of doing that. Hopefully Amazon will follow through with my order but I have a feeling they won't and hind behind that fact that they don't charge until the order is shipped so they will just cancel the order and try to say "No harm done right?"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:28 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

LatiosXT is correct. That PSU barely meets the minimum power supply requirements for the videocard. ASUS has a wonderful PSU calculator at its support site: http://support.asus.com/powersupply.aspx. While I don't know how many fans your case has, I assume you have at least one DVD-RW drive in this system, so your recommended PSU wattage for the system as it is currently configured should be at least 850 watts. So if Amazon can't come through for you, cancel the order and start looking at NewEgg instead. It should be noted that NewEgg does not have your desired 1300-watt PSU in stock at this time, either, so you can have them "auto-notify" you when they do get it in stock again, or you can try buying this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817182239. Granted, it is rated at only 1000 watts, but it should be sufficient for what you are using. Just a suggestion.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:14 pm 

Yeah I had to get it from Amazon because newegg was out at he time but I was able to pick it up for $117 which is why I really want it XD It was on a crazy sale. But thanks for all the feed back I'll be sure to post the results as soon as I get them. Also when I run the bench,ark on this what is the max temp I should let it get to? Previously it was hitting about 97C and I shut it off for fear of killing it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:20 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
you could try using a program like precision from evga and adjusting the fan speed to run higher, I run mine at 80% all the time. the program should be on the evga install disk.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:05 pm 

I have Precision installed and I use it while gaming. I just wanted to know at what temp should I start getting worried about my devices? I've had friends say 90 is way too much and some say that I'm not even close to hurting it. Another opinion would help me figure out what is correct lol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:00 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Damage to electronic components thermally happens at its maximum rated temperature (if you can find a datasheet, it's called "maximum junction temperature" or something). Otherwise, the only thing you harm is its expected life. Even then, I don't think its a big enough deal to worry about.

The maximum temperature from what I recall in past GPUs I've had is 110C. Usually the GPU is smart enough to throttle itself down to save itself before it reaches this temperature. While I do start worrying a bit at 90C, that's mostly the "watch the temps" threshold. Otherwise, continue as normal until you get graphical artifacts, at which point that's the "close the application right now" threshold.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:03 pm 

Thanks for the clarification! I only really ever hit 90+ degrees while running benchmarks I believe with my PSU bottle necking my system it shouldn't be a problem yet. Should I run a "burn in test"? I've read that they max out your hardware and run in for as long as it can but that it's not something you want to let run with out watching it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:11 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I ran your setup through a PSU calculator and you shouldn't be hitting your 650W cap, according to it (with 90% load and 15% capacitor aging). And while a burn-in test like FurMark might help, I'd rather just run the thing through 3DMark.

Other things you can try are reinstalling drivers and such. I've also had my computer's GPU performance take a dump suddenly and a restart fixed it. I run an SLI system, so it might be related.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:41 pm 

Yeah the EVGA rep. said 650 should be fine but with 3 50mm and 1 120mm plus about 5 things plugged in via USB, an optical drive and fan control hub I might be pushing 650 on normal use but I think when playing games like Planetside 2 and Natural Selection 2 I'm pushing both my GPU and PSU to the max. That's where the PSU might be falling a little short. I'll run the 3Dmark test and see what happens. What exactly does a burn in do and what are the benefits?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:45 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Burn-in tests are useful for stressing the limits of the card and to test stability after an overclock. But this is not a real-world load, manufacturers say running such tests is more akin to having a power virus.