Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Black screen after windows splash, but loads after reboot.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:11 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Every morning when I turn on my computer, after the windows splash screen and just before the log-in screen, my display goes black. When I do a hard reboot on the machine, the log-in screen loads just fine. I have no other problems with the machine, and if I turn it off and turn it back on a few hours later, it loads up just fine. But if it has been six or seven hours, the problem recurs. This happens every single day. Unless this came from some messed up windows update, the only other change I have made in the last six months was replacing my video card. I replaced an ati 4970x2 with a evga 680 ftw 4gb. This problem has been ongoing for about a month. My assumptions are either my video is going bad, or my battery on my motherboard is dying and it is looking for on-board video when loading instead of a video card.

My specs:
Windows 7 pro x64
EVGA e758-A1 mobo
Intel core i7-950 Bloomfield
asus xonar pci-e sound card
OCZ vertex ssd 120gb primary drive
corsair vengeance 12gb RAM

Post subject: Re: Black screen after windows splash, but loads after reboo
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:18 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If you want to make sure it's not the CMOS battery, leave the computer off for the time you said this happens. Then check your BIOS settings. If they're on their defaults, then you should change the battery. Also if you're seeing an output on the video card, BIOS knows your video card is the primary output, and after that won't change it.

To rule out the video card you can either:
  • Boot into safe mode and see if the same thing happens
  • Reinstall the drivers and see if this happens.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:21 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I did do a driver reinstall. I tried to do an inplace upgrade, but the installer said there was an issue and I had to do a fresh install a few weeks ago. Nothing changed.

Also, there is output from the video card, I see the mobo splash screen and everything, it just goes black after the windows splash. My mobo doesn't even have on-board video, so I thought the battery idea may have been a stretch.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:25 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Ah wait, EVGA. I've had some funny issues with an 8800GT that used the secondary port as the primary port once Windows loaded. Try putting the monitor in the other port and see if anything changes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:28 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I will do that when I get home, thanks for that suggestion. I will report back after I try it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:05 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Are you 100% sure that you got rid of all the ATI drivers before you switched to the nvidia powered card?

Try running Driver Sweeper and see if there are any remaining ATI components.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:46 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Last time I used Driver sweeper, I had to reinstall windows it made such a mess, so no thanks. Besides, I installed the new card in October, the problems only started about a month and a half ago.
latiosXT, I switched the cable to the other slot. This time, the screen didn't go off after the splash screen, but it did after I got to the desktop. However, whenever there is this issue, a reboot always resolves it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:03 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Razor86 wrote:
latiosXT, I switched the cable to the other slot. This time, the screen didn't go off after the splash screen, but it did after I got to the desktop. However, whenever there is this issue, a reboot always resolves it.

I wonder if the driver was going "You're on monitor 2... no wait! Monitor 1!" If we want to rule out software, boot in safe mode since this doesn't use the video card driver.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:06 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

LatiosXT wrote:
Razor86 wrote:

I wonder if the driver was going "You're on monitor 2... no wait! Monitor 1!" If we want to rule out software, boot in safe mode since this doesn't use the video card driver.

That is my next step.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:08 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Good news is you could probably RMA it to EVGA as a defect. Assuming you've registered it for warranty.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:32 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I tried starting it in safe mode for multiple days, and it loaded fine. When I restarted windows normally, the screen would go black after I got to the desktop. Today I turned it on and the screen froze on the log-in screen, with a few graphical anomalies on the screen. My anti-virus has been acting up too, I've had to reinstall kaspersky multiple times to fix the issue. So there I have a possible graphics card problem, OS problem, and hard drive problem. Yah.