Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: My new build constantly resets after 1st boot up.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:54 am 

Hello everyone,

I recently just finished my first build. After the first time I turned it on and set up my BIOS it now automatically restarts after around 5 seconds. It's impossible for me to access the BIOS again. The only thing I altered in the BIOS was the RAM speed as I'm using 1866mhz I then hit "save changes and reset" and now this is happening.

I have an Asus Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard, but I couldn't see anything in the instructions about this problem.

Does anyone know what the cause of this is? Any help would be immensely appreciated.

Post subject: Re: My new build constantly resets after 1st boot up.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:06 am 

The ASUS Sabertooth Z77 motherboard comes with a USB BIOS Flashback which allows you to load the BIOS on to a USB stick and then reboot and reload the BIOS onto the board. Here's the ASUS product page where you can download the latest BIOS for your motherboard and reflash it. Read the Manual too as you may not have your DIMMS in the right spots because if you have dual channel RAM some boards need the DIMMS in specific channels. Here's a link to the ASUS Download Support pagehttp://www.asus.com/Motherboard/SABERTOOTH_Z77/#support_Download

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:05 pm 

chriszele wrote:
The ASUS Sabertooth Z77 motherboard comes with a USB BIOS Flashback which allows you to load the BIOS on to a USB stick and then reboot and reload the BIOS onto the board. Here's the ASUS product page where you can download the latest BIOS for your motherboard and reflash it. Read the Manual too as you may not have your DIMMS in the right spots because if you have dual channel RAM some boards need the DIMMS in specific channels. Here's a link to the ASUS Download Support pagehttp://www.asus.com/Motherboard/SABERTOOTH_Z77/#support_Download

Thanks for the response, unfortunately the problem still persists. I double checked my RAM is installed in the correct place and it is, and that didn't solve the problem either. Although now it restarts pretty much immediately after pressing the power button.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:24 pm 

You'll need to reflash the BIOS then by downloading it and putting it onto a USB. After that put it into a USB port then you'll press and hold the BIOS Flashback button on the back of your Motherboard and it should load a fresh BIOS right off of your USB key. http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/SABERTOOTH_Z77/#support_Download_30 If reflashing your BIOS does not work you may need to RMA your motherboard and get a replacement one.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:32 pm 

The BIOS you'll want to download is 1805 as it is the latest one and probably the most stable.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:48 pm 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

JTB123 wrote:
chriszele wrote:

Thanks for the response, unfortunately the problem still persists. I double checked my RAM is installed in the correct place and it is, and that didn't solve the problem either. Although now it restarts pretty much immediately after pressing the power button.

If you had to manually set the RAM to run at DDR3-1866 then that tells me that it's of the variety that doesn't natively run at 1866 and has to use the XMP profiles to do so. I've found that this type of memory to be some of the more problematic, frankly you gain zero benefit over running at 1600 btw, and simply isn't stable at 1866. You should be able to get out of the boot loop by clearing the RTC RAM. It's a jumper labeled CLRTC on your board. Clear that and report back with what happened.