Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Acer Aspire One WiFi Issues (PLEASE HELP)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:43 pm 

Wassup!

I recently purchased an Acer Aspire One netbook for school. The computer is simply amazing in every way, shape, and form - aside from the horrendously slow and buggy internet. Regardless of my connection or browser, my Internet is comparable to dial-up. The speed, for example, is horrendously slow, the connection goes from "normal" to "limited" quite frequently, and the WiFi completely disconnects without reason.

If I disconnect and reconnect to the same network after a given issue, however, it works great for the next thirty-or-so minutes, and I experience the issue again. I've noticed that if I shut the computer for any given time, open it, and use the internet, these issues seem to be more prominent. Restarting the computer seems to temporarily fix the issue for a decent period of time, but I'm forced to restart the computer several times within the period of use, which is highly inconvenient and frustrating.

I researched the problem and saw that there was a "feature" that slows the internet speed to save battery, which can be switched off in the settings. However, after doing so, these issues continue to persist. Because of the fact that my school is completely internet-based, these issues (which occur every time I use the computer by the way) are becoming ridiculously annoying. Any other Aspire One owners (or Acer owners) experience these problems? Is there any way to fix this?

Any form of help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

~JF

Post subject: Re: Acer Aspire One WiFi Issues (PLEASE HELP)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:27 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)

I (as an one owner) have never had any issue with wifi. It stutters horablly on netflix but everything else, web wise, is fine. I have a work order in on mine for a failty hard drive. Its toast, even spinrite threw up its hands and gave up on one sector. Acer refuses to just send me a new drive or even the disk image, have to send in the whole unit for service. So if you have to have yours worked on plan on being without it for two weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:20 am 
Willamette
Willamette

FWIW, I had a co-worker who purchased one of these netbooks over four years ago (when Windows Vista was Microsoft's flagship OS) from a local Wal-Mart store and, while he could get the thing to connect wirelessly to the Internet, Internet Explorer could not display any web pages whatsoever. I tried performing a factory recovery on the damn thing by folllowing the instructions that were provided with it, but to no avail. It amazes me that Acer still makes these netbooks to this day at all. My co-worker ended up taking it back to Wal-Mart and wound up buying a Toshiba Satellite Pro notebook from there instead and it worked flawlessly for him.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:32 am 

pcstudent wrote:
FWIW, I had a co-worker who purchased one of these netbooks over four years ago (when Windows Vista was Microsoft's flagship OS) from a local Wal-Mart store and, while he could get the thing to connect wirelessly to the Internet, Internet Explorer could not display any web pages whatsoever. I tried performing a factory recovery on the damn thing by folllowing the instructions that were provided with it, but to no avail. It amazes me that Acer still makes these netbooks to this day at all. My co-worker ended up taking it back to Wal-Mart and wound up buying a Toshiba Satellite Pro notebook from there instead and it worked flawlessly for him.

Interesting. Like I said, it's a great computer, but the Internet is horrendous. It seems to only work when it feels like it.

Not sure if this matters, but I purchased my computer in November, and experienced these issues right off the bat. My computer also runs on Windows 8, if that matters also.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:47 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Latest driver is installed I presume. If so, just replace the wifi card with a proven one. Or if you don't want to crack it open, you could pick up an inexpensive usb high-gain adapter. I know it's not the most elegant solution, but your connection will fly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:09 pm 

JudicialFury wrote:
. . . . Not sure if this matters, but I purchased my computer in November, and experienced these issues right off the bat. My computer also runs some crappy OS (worse then linux), that matters also.

Fixed it for you

Yes that matters, bought mine with Windows 7 and it works like a charm. . . well outside the broken HD