Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: OS Transfer Question
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:45 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

My old SSD has Win 7 completely updated on it and I would like to transfer this to my new SSD that will go in my new rig. It would be great not to have to do a half hour install PLUS add all of the required updates. So what do I do??

Do I get the new SSD, install it in my current rig and run some kind of program that will take the OS over to the new SSD??? Actually, the OS AND the programs can go to the new SSD so I guess I need to know how to clone the whole SSD from old to new........

Post subject: Re: OS Transfer Question
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:34 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You clone the drive. Someone can offer a free tool or something (I had a copy of Norton Ghost so... I dunno).

As long you're not changing anything but the SSD, you shouldn't have a problem. If you change the motherboard, Windows will ask for you to re-activate.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:14 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Well, originally I was going to plug the new SSD into my old system to do the cloning. Then of course use the new SSD in the new system I am building so yeah, I guess I am changing the mobo. What to do.....???

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:23 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)
Monkey Federation (Top 10)

Most hd makers have a program for doing just what you want. Look on the makers websites.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:46 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If you're doing anything more than effectively replacing the SSD/HDD on the current system, then you're going to have to do a clean sweep of all the drivers on the OS install before migrating it to a new machine. On top of potentially having to reactivate Windows.

If you don't want to spend all the time updating, create a slipstreamed install ISO and load it on a thumbdisk.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:17 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

robertco300 wrote:
My old SSD has Win 7 completely updated on it and I would like to transfer this to my new SSD that will go in my new rig. It would be great not to have to do a half hour install PLUS add all of the required updates. So what do I do??

Do I get the new SSD, install it in my current rig and run some kind of program that will take the OS over to the new SSD??? Actually, the OS AND the programs can go to the new SSD so I guess I need to know how to clone the whole SSD from old to new........

yes it can be done on a win 7 system using microsofts sysprep tool (included in a typical win 7 install). I did it and it worked for me. changed out CPU, mobo and ram 4 months ago and all is fine. saved a lot of time reinstalling software, thats for sure.

its still recommended you do a fresh install but here how it works. you will need to reactivate windows afterwards.

1st, make a full image backup and verify it. then, make a second full image backup and test that too. then, copy all important docs etc somewhere safe. you get the idea, as this may very well blow up and trash your install.

you should have the old ssd and the new ssd both with the same image on them. I use macrium reflect free but any decent imaging software should work. put the new ssd in the old computer and fire it up.

now open an administrator command prompt. type

%windir%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe

goto System Cleanup Action. under System Cleanup Action choose "Enter System Out of Box Experience (OOBE)". click Generalize and under Shutdown options choose "Shutdown"

this removes all drivers and puts generic MS drivers in their place

after it shuts down transfer the new ssd to the new system. make sure its on a native controller port. make sure you have the SATA ports set to AHCI (if they originally were on the old mobo).

make sure you have the drivers for the NIC at least on a USB stick or disc to get back up on your network as win 7 may not have the NIC driver built in (mine didnt).

when it 1st starts it will find the new hardware and prompt for drivers, just like its a fresh install.

now, while this worked for me, YMMV of course.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:43 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

One trick is to delete the drivers from the old drive [I'd back up the image first!!!!] and start a repair install. When it gets through with the system check and asks you to reboot you say yes and as soon as it boots kill the power.

Then transfer the drive to the new system (along with the Win7 disk) and let it "continue" the repair. Install the new drivers for the new system.

Then install and transfer a drive image to the new SSD, remove the old one. Boot.

This assumes it is not an OEM license, which would be illegal and nobody on here would encourage you to violate your EULA. You may have to reactivate, but often not.