2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Ram
128GB Samsung 840 Pro Series SSD
850W Corsair Ax 850 Power supply
2TB Western Digital Caviar Black Hard Drive
Corsair 650D Case
Asus BC-12B1ST Blu-Ray Combo bulk
ASUS Xonar D2X/XDT - Sound card

(About 2000euro for the pc)

I intend to use this build for gaming (bf3, Skyrim, gta4, crysis, far cry 3, Starcraft, Wow, Minecraft) music recording, programming and light video and photo editing.

Any advice on improving this build or the pointing out of any flaws would be greatly appreciated.

Peripherals:
I intend to set up multiple monitors and was thinking about buying 3 dell u2412m or 3 asus pa248q monitors but was told the response time
could cause noticeable Ghosting when gaming (I do not play competitively so would prefer better image quality over fast response times
but would still like if faster moving pictures was clear).
Any suggestions will be very helpful.

For keyboard and mouse I am not sure what to go with, was looking at the razer blackwidow and naga but again am not
sure so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Any suggestions for good reasonably priced gaming headsets or surround sound speakers would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance any assistance you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: First PC build and workstation set up
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:57 pm 
Mr. Late Night
Mr. Late Night

Hmmmm, it's a solid build but there are some changes that I would make to it. I'll give my reasoning for each part below:

CPU: Swap that from an i7 3770K to an i5 3570K. The sole game out there that takes any advantage of the hyperthreading that it provides is BF3 and really it doesn't run bad at all on an i5 either. If you were into heavy music & video editing then I would probably recommend an i7, as is an i5 will do the job for gaming fine and the same goes for light video & music editing.

GPU: Here we have a bit of an issue. Normally I recommend staying away from SLi & Crossfire based setups, they introduce more problems than they tend to solve. The issue here is that you're going with a multi-monitor setup which may be taxing for a single card. You may want to take some time to read up on things like microstutter and take note that a large portion of games don't always ship with good SLi support so there may be times where you have to wait a few months before the game you're playing can even make use of your dual cards.

Motherboard: Not to say that there's anything wrong with it but in all honesty there are several motherboards out there that are just as good but cost a good deal less. I would suggest looking at the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H along with the ASRock Extreme4 Z77 boards. Both are solid boards and will fit your needs quite nicely while saving you some cash.

PSU: Don't get me wrong, I love Corsair but you're paying a huge premium for an AX line power supply. The amount of wattage is fine but you're paying out of the nose for that Platinum level certification. Their Bronze level PSUs are solid as is and generally deliver consistent and smooth power levels. I would look at the Seasonic M12II 850 and the Corsair TX850.

HDD: I really don't see the point of getting a Caviar Black if you're already getting a nice sized SSD. I would recommend saving some cash and dropping it down to a green which should be fine. Use the savings to bump the SSD up to a 256GB SSD.

Peripherals:

Monitors: Both the Dell & Asus monitors you listed are solid choices. I find it hard to believe that you'd see much in the way of ghosting with a 6ms response time but perhaps your eyes can see it when mine can't. Perhaps see if there's someplace where you can see a demo of the units and run some games through them.

Keyboard & Mouse: These are again largely personal choices. What one person likes may not be what another person prefers. Personally I really like the Corsair Vengeance M60 mouse that I recently picked up and had it replace my Logitech G5. It has great sensitivity and just the right amount of weight for me. For keyboards I would recommend looking at the Corsair Vengeance line of keyboards as well as the Microsoft Sidewinder X4.

Headphones: There are a couple different ways that you can go with this setup. You can get headphones that are designed with gaming in mind or headphones that are designed with audio and get a clip on mic. For pure gaming headphones I've come to really like a few different ones namely the SteelSeries Sibera V2 headphones, the Logitech G930 if you're into cordless headphones and the Sennheiser PC-360 (they may have upgraded the series so they're probably a different model now). If you want to go into the higher quality audio route that has a separate mic that you would attach to the cord (separate purchase of course) I would recommend looking at the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 headphones, Grado SR-60s, Sennheiser HD-580s just to name a few.