Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: HP 6530b Won't Finish Boot
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:02 pm 

Hi all!! I hope you can help me on this one.

I have a HP 6530b laptop that I was using as my main PC. Last week I was doing stuff on it when it shut down, giving me no warning. I had this happen a while ago and at that time when I booted it back up, it said that Windows had installed some updates. So that is what I expected had happened this time. I tried to power it back on. The screen wouldn't come on. I saw the power and HDD indicator lights on and the fan was on. For some reason the screen didn't come on. It sat there for about a minute doing what ever it was doing when I heard the fan shut off and the HDD slow down. I noticed that the caps lock and num lock indicator lights were flashing. I restarted it and this time the screen came on and it started to boot. When it got to the Windows logo, it hung for a few seconds and then shut itself down. Since then I have not seen the Windows logo. I was able to plug the HDD into another PC and I tried to boot from it. It failed to boot into Windows and told me that the installation was damaged. I had Linux installed side by side, so I booted into it just fine. Everything ran great with Linux. After a little searching on Google, I saw something that suggested that the motherboard might have failed. However, my Dad had a PC that had a motherboard failure and the PC would even turn on, let alone start to boot. What do you think is wrong with it and how would you recommend I try to fix it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-DogLover

P.S. I was running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. Not sure that matters now though.

Post subject: Re: HP 6530b Won't Finish Boot
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:23 am 

Why is it that no one is giving me answers? I have asked on several forums and no one is responding! I desperately need some info on this!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:04 am 

Those errors could be a bad motherboard or ram issue. Leave the hd out and try to boot to a linux live cd and see if that works. If the live cd has issues booting, try removing a stick of ram and retry, shut down and swap ram sticks and try again, if you have spare ram that is known to be working, try that too. The linux os booting on a different computer but not the laptop makes me think that the laptop itself is the one having the issues.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:43 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

You need to be patient, we do this for free in our spare time, sometimes we get busy with other things in life and cannot make it on here, other times we have read your problem and are doing a bit of research on our own to see if there were any others that have had the same problem.

If I read your post correctly, you have Win 7 x64 and Linux installed on the same drive correct? The linux part boots up and runs just fine, the Windows part does not? Note: Installing the harddrive into another computer and expecting Windows to run is not going to happen, it loads hardware specific drivers at boot, and with the different hardware it will choke and error out and reboot. As for your problem this could be caused by a bad driver, bad software, random glitch, corrupt file etc. Have you tried to do a repair install with the recovery partition/disk to see if the problem was fix?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:29 pm 

I tried to re-install Windows7 and it failed. One thing I forgot to mention was that the Num and Caps lock lights blink five times when I try to boot. I don't know if that helps or not.

-DogLover

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:54 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

That is a very big help!

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01443366&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN