Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Network Speed Slow on Cable
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:37 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Was getting bad speeds (<=10M) on a Linksys WTR54G running DDWRT - figured it was an old and failing router (was losing connectivity within the home). Was getting almost 50M on the WAN side of the router.

Upgraded to the new ASUS NT-R66U and for the first few days I was getting between 40-50M, now it's back down to 10M most of the time, and I've seen it as low as 1-2M a couple of times.

Someone said that the WiFi will only go as-fast as the slowest device on the network... Is that true and do I need to find the device?

Bueller? Any ideas here?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Network Speed Slow on Cable
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:04 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Whoever said WiFi is only as fast as the slowest device doesn't know what they're talking about. If this was the case, then Wi-Fi is a terrible choice of standard for networks.

The first thought would be checking how reliable your signal is and what's between the end device and the router. If you have an Android device, Wi-Fi Analyzer is a great app for determining where the gaps are in your home.

As far as things between the router and end device, any large metallic object is a reflector and will hinder the signal. I stayed at a place once where the router was no more than 20 feet away from me, but I had a really crappy signal because between me and the router was a large bathroom mirror.

Also I've found the Windows tends to lie about signal strength and actual network reliability. But this may be a problem inherent in wireless networks in general.