Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Minecraft server and backups
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:24 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I should ask this over at Mincraft forums, but notice a lot of server questions either roll off quickly or don't actually get good technical answers.

I'd like to automate a nightly backup of the server at, say, 3am every morning. I have a WHS2 box that will back any PC here up, but my current server won't grab all the files if they're in use (It's a running app as the server is designed to be always on, and someone is usually connected) and get an error that some file can't be backed up. It should be grabbing the right files, but I don't want to restore the entire computer if something goes wacky with just the minecraft folder itself (odd blocks or a griefer).

I've seen mention that dropbox should be used, but I don't see how this automates anything. I have a drop box and can drop the world folder in there, but can you make drop box do this task automatically or was this more weak advice and is still manually just dragging the world folder over like I do already?

Just looking for a simple method to grab the "world" folder and copy it automatically; not the entire drive. If something ever happens I'd like to just restore one folder. My end goal would be to do this twice a day since the players are all in different time zones and odd playing times...minimal loss if I ever had to restore the world. At 3am and 5pm, back up this single folder...is it possible?

Post subject: Re: Minecraft server and backups
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:15 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)

Its possable but could take some doing. Have you tried other programs to see if they will back up files in use. I use corbin backup 8 and I have yet to run into a file in use error. Of course that could be because I only backup selected folders.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:33 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Cobian vise Corbin, right?

I forgot the backup utility I use to use, and it's driving me nuts because I know it would allow me to just pick one specific folder to back up which would be perfect. I only quit using it because the restore environment (for entire images) was clunky and the WHS build made more sense in the end.

Cobian is new to me, but it seems well reviewed. Do you know off hand if will back up only locally or if I can tell it to back up to a network drive? My server is on a 256G SSD and just don't want to fill it up with backup files; it'd be better off on a large spindle drive I can dedicate to just this. Since 1.4.5, I'm up to 2.8G of backups, so I could flush them more often as they become obviously not needed.

Individual files for each back up is nice as a griefer can do something that isn't noticed for days. Heck, I haven't been out to some of my own distant builds for months now. If the backup just overwrites changed files in a single backup file, then that date I need to go to can be erased. Anyway, I'll just try out to see if it does well. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:14 pm 

Yes that is correct. I post from my android so I don't always have the correct spelling.

As long as you can see the drive on the network from the local machine it will back up to it. I have it do 3 individual runs. One to my internal backup (for speed). One to my usb backup drive. The last to my server (it being the slowest method of backup and recovery).

I have it overwrite backups because I don't need the older coppies, but it does give the options to do sequental backups and 3 or 4 other types. I didn't really look into them as I didn't need them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:17 am 

top free servers for minecraft list