Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: IHS remvoal and adjustment, lapping tutorial anyone?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:52 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

well guys, the rig finally died a death of unique style... where ever the usb controller resides on an Asus p5k that chip has defecated the bed and as a result the motherboard will post but acts bizzare enough for my to throw my hands up. over the past two years usb port after port (header or hard soldered) started failing with either data corruption or an overvolt condition being falsely detected. the last port went on friday and i went down to Fry's and picked upa 3770k, maximus v extreme and a nzxt havik 140.

You may have seen the reviews on that cooler cstating the test sample was bowed and it certainly is so before i head down to the hardware store for provisions, i was wondering if anyone would be interested in a how to on :

How to remove the integrated heat spreader on Intel chips and adjust it for the least amount of gap possible

How to properly flatten and level the ihs at the top side (hsf contact point) and optimize the surface for best thermal transfer (you'd think Intel would have gotten this right by now its flat but the surface roughness is all sorts of wrong for an enthusiast with sandpaper and a good file)

How to level and flatten a wildly imperfect base of a hsf and similarly create a surface roughness and flatness for optimal thermal conductance/transfer.

I am not sure how many folks remember me but suffice to say i am not half bad at this. i had a northwood a core 1.7 that would clock beyond 2.0 until my first ihs mod and third or fourth hsf lapping and then it went 2.4ghz stable on air. i had a 2.4 ghz northwood b to 3.6ghz and after that did an allendale to 3.0 and a q6600 to 4.0 on air and default voltage (soldered core to ihs on the q... not sure why Intel went away from that) the q6600 is what just died and prompted this upgrade. my gtx580 will probably be quite happy with a non antique status cpu sharing the mainboard.

after all that verbosity i am putting out this feeler. i'll go through the motions of creating the videos and detailed instructions if there are takers. i'd be surprised if everyone is happy with the content available on the net right now for this sort of thing as what is there is sparse all around, especially where newbs to the art and enthusiasts who want to know if mirror polished is the best finish or if some other condition is more optimal are concerned. truth be told, i am disappointed with how people figured out ivy bridges have shit internal construction where heat dissipation is concerned but no one seems to have bothered covering all the basics to righting this wrong.

I'll check in later after i get back from the supply run. edited for clleanliness

Post subject: Re: IHS remvoal and adjustment, lapping tutorial anyone?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:26 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Hey look, someone did the work for you: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/27787 ... al-results

Conclusion? Based on these data, lapping an i7-3370K and the heatsink used to cool it produces minimal benefits in heat dissipation gains.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:36 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

LatiosXT wrote:
Hey look, someone did the work for you: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/27787 ... al-results

Conclusion? Based on these data, lapping an i7-3370K and the heatsink used to cool it produces minimal benefits in heat dissipation gains.

yeah, i saw that while googlin but there are 4 things wrong with how that cat went about it.

So edgy in here i guess i won't bother. i mean one guy made a sub 1000 word effort on it and that surely must be the final word.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:52 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Well since you seem to be the expert on it, you probably shouldn't asked. Go buy yourself a kit: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2888/ ... g_Kit.html and have fun.

Keep in mind that the only thing you buy out of increasing the cooling performance is increased lifespan of the CPU. I don't know what the life span of modern CPUs are these days, but it's certainly going to be ditched way sooner before it croaks.