Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: My PC keeps shutting down on certain games?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:08 pm 

Well, I've been gaming for a while now but I'm not sure why my PC keeps crashing on certain games? I think the reason is that it's overheating (and therefore shutting down to ensure safety) so what do I need to do? This happens to games like Tera (on lowest settings possible). Strangely, I can play League of Legends perfectly fine though.

Does that mean it's time for a new cooling system? (maybe this one isn't working as best as it can). I'm currently considering getting a new graphics card and power supply, and I'm not sure if that would also make the situation worse or better.

Post subject: Re: My PC keeps shutting down on certain games?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:17 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

WELCOME! Welcome to the MaxPC FORUMS. Please make sure you don't just play a voyeur - be sure to actively contribute, advise and help someone else out. This place is only as good as it's participants - it's all about quality and timely I/O.

We need data to help you. First, what is your system specs and how old is the rig? Next, what are your temps when havoc begins? Use HWmonitor. Post up the screen shots.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:25 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Also describe what you mean by "crashing". BSOD? Just shuts off? What?

The more you can give us, the more we can narrow down the most likely cause!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:36 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

It could be as simple as a bad video driver updated the wrong way.

Nasty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:48 pm 

LatiosXT wrote:
Also describe what you mean by "crashing". BSOD? Just shuts off? What?

The more you can give us, the more we can narrow down the most likely cause!

It just shuts off, but the computer appears to be on. (My screen will turn black, but the computer itself looks like it is still running, so I just hold the power button to shut it off)

My PC is using a Nvidia GT220 graphics card, and it's using the latest update frmo Nvidia. I can run League of Legends (another game) perfectly fine for hours on end without it shutting my PC off.

This is my PC specs, right from the HP site
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... ct=4120601

no different changes to it, besides a wifi PC card fori nternet access. I bought it around 2010, and I have also recently just cleaned out the fans with a air duster for computers. This problem has been occuring for TERA, and some time ago (around the november of 2012) with GHOST RECON Online.

I do not see the problem, but I guess the graphics is causing my computer to heat or my motherboard? Maybe I need a new fan?

Here are my pc settings

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:35 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

blaziruku wrote:
It just shuts off, but the computer appears to be on. (My screen will turn black, but the computer itself looks like it is still running, so I just hold the power button to shut it off)

I take it if you try hitting Num Lock or Caps Lock, it doesn't toggle said lock? And what games are giving you trouble? And is it always these games?

The temperatures check out though. The GPU is toasty, but it can survive another 20 or so degrees before it overheats. Usually when something overheats though, the part tries to clock itself down. GPUs in particular will start giving off graphical glitches.

Another thing that may be happening is when you quite a game from full screen, your GPU doesn't seem to sync up properly with the monitor. So the monitor thinks it lost its signal. Power cycling the monitor usually fixes it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:05 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

It may be the power supply that is starting to fail and causing your video card to go black. It also may be the video card dieing....the only way to find out is to switch out the two components, one at a time to find out which it is. OEMs usually build systems with wimpy power supplies because they are in business to make money and cutting corners where they can puts money in the coffers.

Then again if you updated the video driver wrong it will cause issues like this as well.

Nasty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:10 am 

LatiosXT wrote:
blaziruku wrote:

I take it if you try hitting Num Lock or Caps Lock, it doesn't toggle said lock? And what games are giving you trouble? And is it always these games?

The temperatures check out though. The GPU is toasty, but it can survive another 20 or so degrees before it overheats. Usually when something overheats though, the part tries to clock itself down. GPUs in particular will start giving off graphical glitches.

Another thing that may be happening is when you quite a game from full screen, your GPU doesn't seem to sync up properly with the monitor. So the monitor thinks it lost its signal. Power cycling the monitor usually fixes it.

Using my num/caps lock will toggle my keyboard settings, this CPU monitor setting is just my normal temperature. My computer is in my basement, and its not too cold here (although it is left here overnight, there is heating near it.)

Maybe it is my power supply or graphics card. I think I will try to swap them out (my pc is 300 watts if I remember) I'm going to possibly switch it out for a 500 watt, with another new graphics card in place. I cleaned out my fan but that didn't seem to fixit, so I think the game is causing too much tension on my card? This happens with games like TERA, Ghost Recon Online, Path of Exile and that's about it (I don't have an extremely large library of games.) It closes after a while of play on those games. It doesn't close when I play League of Legends, Garry's Mod, or even on Dungeon Defender.

I am positive my card is updated properly. I will try to update it again (I'm using the Nvidia Experience to update)

EDIT: Checked Nvidia site. Driver is newly up to date as of today.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:12 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

IMO 87c is really pushing it for reliable performance under load for a GPU. I'd suggest making sure the heat sink isn't clogged with dust bunnies or the fan hasn't failed all together.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:10 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Try just swapping out the power supply first to see if the issue goes away, if not, add the video card next. That way you will have some idea of what the real cause was. Never do all at once. When you install the video card be sure to uninstall the old video driver before you pull the old card.

Nasty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:31 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

XoRn wrote:
IMO 87c is really pushing it for reliable performance under load for a GPU. I'd suggest making sure the heat sink isn't clogged with dust bunnies or the fan hasn't failed all together.

My cards went to 90C while playing Max Payne 3, which took me about 15 hours to beat. And it reached that running FC3. Otherwise it sits at 70C under load

I don't like doing it and I will start pushing the fans more, but point is, you can push your cards pretty hot. I mean, the GTX 480 was sitting at a toasty 90C+ if you gave it so much as a polygon.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:31 pm 

Nastyman wrote:
Try just swapping out the power supply first to see if the issue goes away, if not, add the video card next. That way you will have some idea of what the real cause was. Never do all at once. When you install the video card be sure to uninstall the old video driver before you pull the old card.

Nasty

I see. My card is integrated, so I will just try to uninstall it (I cant pull it out I think) and then install the new one. I heard I can just set the BIOS for it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:38 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Right, if you use an add-in video card you have to first uninstall the driver for the integrated video, then go into the bios and shut it off. Some motherboards detect an add-in video card and automatically shut the integrated video off. You still need to uninstall the driver for the integrated video card before installing the new card.

Nasty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:07 am 

Nastyman wrote:
Right, if you use an add-in video card you have to first uninstall the driver for the integrated video, then go into the bios and shut it off. Some motherboards detect an add-in video card and automatically shut the integrated video off. You still need to uninstall the driver for the integrated video card before installing the new card.

Nasty

I see! I will do that when I get my new card. A quick question, does it matter what card I get in a series like 7850? (I am confused at all thew types they offer, like Sapphire, HIS, ASUS...)

i.e on Amazon.ca when I searched for a 7850, there were like 8 results. (of the same thing, different beginning like ASUS, etc)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:24 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

What you are looking at here is personal preference, I use XFX video cards because they give you good support and work well, So does Asus. I have both brands running in different machines right now. Just make sure you have a power supply that will run your new video card. Check the specs out on the video card you want to buy and find out what size power supply you need to run it. It will usually give you amps and watts that are required of the power supply along with the type of connectors you need to connect to your new video card.

Nasty