Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Whats the PSU of the year 2004?!?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:16 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Hey all, I wanna get a new PSU, and I thought 'hey, maximumpc just had a gear of the year issue not too long ago that I still have'. To my chargrin they did not name a powersupply! Why is it that one of the most critical elements in a PC is so sorely neglected. I mean, if your parts are not getting correct power, they are not going to work properly, or worse, get too much power and die out. On my fathers computer, he plays City of Heroes alot, and it was quite jerky playing it. For another reason he had to get a new power supply, so I got one from thermaltake, and surprisingly enough, this fixed the jerkyness problems!!!

So what would you recommend as the Power Supply of the year?

(Note: anyone who suggests the utra x-connect power supply will be attacked by a trained monkey.....)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:41 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

If they had mentioned one, it would have been the Antec Neo 480w, which won their roundup.

Personally, I'm curious as to what behemoths (700w+) lie right around the corner. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:48 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I want the PC Power and Cooling 850 just for that coolness factor... That thing looks beasty!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:59 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

i woiuld say the Antec Neo Power, i have one and it deserved the kick ass rating that it got. its really quiet, and the voltages are rock solid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:34 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

antec neopower, or from online and members of this forum, the ocz powerstream series. i know max pc didnt like the powerstream so much, but the reviews online praise it as do some members of this forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:21 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

antec neopower!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:08 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Definitely NEO Power.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:22 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I'll even bow to the NEO power. For what it has to offer, it fills the bill for about every user. Modular aside, it's still a great PS and it's widely available. You'll have to sell some body parts if you want a PowerStream NOW. Either that, or call every vendor twice a day to check stock.

I like the 120 fan on the bottom too. I think it's a better place than an 80mm on the rear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:30 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

One4yu2c wrote:
If they had mentioned one, it would have been the Antec Neo 480w, which won their roundup.

Personally, I'm curious as to what behemoths (700w+) lie right around the corner. :D

FuckAntec.com..... why?

---Overpriced
---Overhyped
---Not that special

Oh yeah... I suggest Thermaltake Silent Purepower line of PSU's.... particularly the 480w model with fan speed controller. Check It

Last edited by N00B33 on Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:33 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

N00B33 wrote:
One4yu2c wrote:

FuckAntec.com..... why?

---Overpriced
---Overhyped
---Not that special

Oh yeah... I suggest Thermaltake Silent Purepower line of PSU's.... particularly the 480w model with fan speed controller.
funny, antec definitely makes better psu's than thermaltake, thats not even a question to 99% of the people in the computer world. the only thing thermaltake has over antec is price, thats it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:38 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

athlon11 wrote:
N00B33 wrote:
One4yu2c wrote:

FuckAntec.com..... why?

---Overpriced
---Overhyped
---Not that special

Oh yeah... I suggest Thermaltake Silent Purepower line of PSU's.... particularly the 480w model with fan speed controller.
funny, antec definitely makes better psu's than thermaltake, thats not even a question to 99% of the people in the computer world. the only thing thermaltake has over antec is price, thats it.

Sorry, got to disagree with that generalized statement. The ONLY reason you think Antec is better then Thermaltake is because somebody on here told you what to think. You have a bad habit of simply espousing "facts" and not really having any basis from which to make these claims. I'll take a $60 dollar 480w TT over a $130 dollar 480w Antec ANYDAY... hows that for a fact? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:50 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

N00B33 wrote:
athlon11 wrote:
N00B33 wrote:
One4yu2c wrote:

FuckAntec.com..... why?

---Overpriced
---Overhyped
---Not that special

Sorry, got to disagree with that generalized statement. The ONLY reason you think Antec is better then Thermaltake is because somebody on here told you what to think. You have a bad habit of simply espousing "facts" and not really having any basis from which to make these claims. I'll take a $60 dollar 480w TT over a $130 dollar 480w Antec ANYDAY... hows that for a fact? :lol:
ive actually read reviews, antecs always get good reviews, thermaltakes get ok reviews, but not as good as antec.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:05 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

N00B33 wrote:
The ONLY reason you think Antec is better then Thermaltake is because somebody on here told you what to think.

athlon11 wrote:
ive actually read reviews, antecs always get good reviews, thermaltakes get ok reviews, but not as good as antec.

Hmmmm well put. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:18 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

N00B33 wrote:
F*ckAntec.com..... why?

---Overpriced
---Overhyped
---Not that special

Oh yeah... I suggest Thermaltake Silent Purepower line of PSU's....

Antec's Neopower did extremely well in MaxPC's PSU roundup, topping even the OCZ and PC&P. Their testing was a bit intense, if you've had the opportunity to read the article.

That being said, I'm very intrigued by the specs and prices of Thermaltake's PurePower series. So much so, in fact, that I started a thread in Mag Feedback (in addition to emailing them) asking if they could squeeze in a torture test, as PSU's are a hot topic with PCI-E and SLI starting to increase wattage requirements.

I own a Thermaltake 420 PurePower w/ active PFC and have had it for about two or three years. It's still chugging away in my roommate's 3.0C rig. I have not 'tortured' it however, but I am pleased thus far.

So yes, I agree that Thermaltake needs some consideration. At the same time, I can't ignore the NeoPower after what I've seen it do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:29 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

N00B33 wrote:
I can easily ignore the NeoPower with its bloated price tag. It better be givin blowjobs while it powers my PC for that money....

Unfortunately, brownouts and power surges cannot ignore a PSU, areas in which the NeoPower was one of the few to survive in the aforementioned roundup.

I'm extremely interested if the Thermaltake would survive their test as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:00 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

ok guys need suggestion and I didn't want to start a new thread I am building a new rig for a buddy who will run a sata HD and SLI and the A8N with the 24pin power connector I was looking at this enermax http://www.xoxide.com/sli.html and he wants to keep it under 100 bucks or less so I need some suggestions thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:30 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

The NeoPower has two 12V leads, Active PFC, Modular design, a long warranty, and its black. Is that worth the double the money? I believe the title of this thread "What's the PSU of the year 2004?!?"

Arquero

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:41 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Arquero wrote:
The NeoPower has two 12V leads, Active PFC, Modular design, a long warranty, and its black. Is that worth the double the money? I believe the title of this thread "What's the PSU of the year 2004?!?"

Arquero

True, but the new Thermaltake Silent PurePowers are spec-worthy for an indepth review:

- Sexy black exterior
- 560w
- Active PFC
- Dual SATA connectors
- Colored cable sleeving
- $107 shipped at Newegg (LINK)

or the monster 680w version for $176 shipped with:

- Sexy exterior
- 680w
- Active PFC
- Four SATA connectors
- Dual PCI-E
- Active PFC
- Colored cable sleeving
- $176 shipped at Newegg(LINK)

and other attractive models/specs/prices...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:22 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

One4yu2c wrote:
Arquero wrote:

Arquero

True, but the new Thermaltake Silent PurePowers are spec-worthy for an indepth review:

- Sexy black exterior
- 560w
- Active PFC
- Dual SATA connectors
- Colored cable sleeving
- $107 shipped at Newegg (LINK)

or the monster 680w version for $176 shipped with:

- Sexy exterior
- 680w
- Active PFC
- Four SATA connectors
- Dual PCI-E
- Active PFC
- Colored cable sleeving
- $176 shipped at Newegg(LINK)

and other attractive models/specs/prices...
ill have to consider those for my nest build, one question though, are thos compatible with the new 24 pin mobos?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:27 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

The 680w has a 24-pin connector, and the 560w includes a 20-24 pin adapter. There's also several other PSU's to choose from, spend some time at this link - Thermaltake PSUs

Then, if you agree, help me urge MaxPC to include a review of that monster 680w unit, especially if they hold true on their hint to PC&P to revisit the PSUs in light of SLI.