Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New Build Issues - Need Help
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:40 pm 

I have built 10 computers in my life and this is the first time I have run into this specific issue. Basically I built a brand new system with the parts listed below about a week ago. System would only boot into bios with RAM not in dual channel mode. After figuring this out I was able to get a stable version of windows 7 64 installed. About 3 days after getting the build going I restarted the computer after installing updates and had a blank screen. No matter what port I plugged the DVI cable into I could not access bios. System would gain video at the windows logon screen only. Contacted ASUS support and they thought it was a bad mobo.

Fast forward a week and I just received an MSI z77-MA G45 board. This board recognizes the dual channel memory but I still do not get picture until system boots to windows. What the heck is going on here? Any ideas would be appreciated!

Build
Motherboard - Asus p8z77-m (MSI z77ma-G45 replaced)
CPU - i5-3470
RAM - Kingston Hyper X DDR3 1600 (8GB 4X2)
Video Card - GTX 660 (worked in perevious build)
HD - Samsung 840 250GB SSD
Power Supply - Seasonic M2II 620w

PS: I did install latest versions of the BIOS on both boards and am having the same issues.

Post subject: Re: New Build Issues - Need Help
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:31 pm 

Is your memory on the Motherboard manufacturers qualified memory list? The issue you are experiencing sounds like a RAM problem, so I would try different and see if that fixes the problem. You can also check all your connections to your motherboard to make sure that nothing is missing. Another thing that might be the problem might be the Power supply for the system and this might be faulty so try a different PSU. I would check those two things first. If replacing those does not work it might be a bad processor because the RAM controller is built into the processor in Intel's newest Core-i Series processors, so you might have a dud i5-3470.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:15 pm 

Memory has passed memtest and is on the QVL.

I also received another Asus motherboard in which it recognizes the ram in dual channel but will not boot unless there is no graphics card installed. Safe to say bad graphics card even know it was working before?

Ps
Graphics card fans etc are working without issue it just will not disay video in any of the ports.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:23 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

It's not a hardware issue. QVL memory is a placebo anyway. Who has the impetus to validate dimms, the mobo manufacturer, nope! They gain nothing from it and the process is everchanging and never ending. The impetus is on the dimm manufacturers, but so few (other than G.Skill) do. So long as your booting off 1600MHz and <1.5v you'll be set.

Your bios snag is one of two things, what type of keyboard are you using? Make sure the shift/function lock is off. And be certain that you don't have legacy USB 2 and 3 enabled in the bios. The flash default may have enabled this. First try another usb keyboard, if still stuck then if you have a PS/2 keyboard, use it and you should enter no problem. And pay attention to the key, check your manual since MSI of all has a history of changing the key across various flashes. It's maddening, but could be F2, F10, or F12. Hitting multiple keys at boot in hopes of hitting the right one can sometimes freeze or lock the boot, or often bypass it completely...straight into loading the OS.

Report back your success.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:17 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Well, another silly thing here because it's happened to me: your monitor isn't connected to the primary output POST is expecting. This wouldn't be a problem with Windows because the drivers it loads are smart enough to figure out where the monitor is.