Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Who's Who In PSU's 2013: Brands vs. Manufacturers
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:47 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Making quick sense of who's where and what is why. Do you think that all power supplies are manufactured by the brand on the label? Think again. Tom shows what makes a good PSU and reveals who builds them. You can actually find high quality, not just scrap metal, behind some of the budget labels. Know what you're buying and what you're not!

Post subject: Re: Who's Who In PSU's 2013: Brands vs. Manufacturers
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:45 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

That's actually a great find and bookmarked it!

I get slightly agitated when I buy a PSU based on some reply that it's brand X, then I open it up and it's not at all. There's still some stigmata that all PCP&C are Seasonic built when that's massively false idealism. I opened up a MKIII and instantly saw Super Flower work. The old Silencer that was stated to be Seasonic? Sparkle/FSP crap.

You want Seasonic quality, buy Seasonic then...but stop saying "this is Seasonic built" when they're not, and then rave about it due to that. Super Flower isn't horrible, but they take short cuts here and there and often don't meet In-rush or hold-up times to even meet ATX requirements. Sparkle/FSP made one good PSU IMO and that was an OCZ Powerstream unit from a decade ago. If you see them on your PSU list now, ditch them.

But what can we make of this in terms of who builds them? Can we clearly state Seasonic, HEC, and Enermax as THE desirable original builders of very good PSU's? I pretty much feel this way already, and that list backs that. I'm very impressed with the Seasonic 520W Fanless and would love to see that level of quality implemented into a 750W+ design with a fan.

Post subject: Re: Who's Who In PSU's 2013: Brands vs. Manufacturers
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:00 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I recently picked up a Corsair AX850 based on the fact that I did some homework on this one. I found out that it was made by Seasonic and was the same as the Seasonic X-850. The only reason I went with the Corsair was that it was cheaper by 20 bucks. But at least I know exactly what I got this time.

It replaced a PC&P Silencer 650 that made strange high pitched squealing noises when I moved my mouse and was moving a lot of data though the Ethernet port. I still don't understand why it would do that. I bought it years ago under the assumption that PC&P made the best power supplies. Oh well its a test part now since it still technically works. If only I knew then what I know now.....