Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Cannot Click Certain Links
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:39 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Browser: Chrome 24, Release Channel

I cannot click links presented on certain web pages. There is no pattern as to what type or category (e.g. political, tech, social network) a website will be in. For example, I cannot click links on csmonitor.com (the Christian Science Monitor, a newspaper), turbotax.com (tax prep software) or PowerJobs (the jobs board on the Politico website). Clicking results in no response, as if I'd clicked on a blank space on the page. If the link is text (like csmonitor.com), right-clicking and "Open in new tab" works around the problem. If the link makes a script call (say, javascript void), right-click-open-new-tab does NOT solve the problem.

Steps I've taken to troubleshoot:
- Start Chrome with all extensions disabled: FAILED
- Clear browsing data: FAILED
- Use other browsers (Firefox, IE) to verify it's not my network: absolved network of blame, FAILED to solve issue with Chrome
- Use same browser and same computer on different network just to be sure: FAILED
- Use Chrome on the same network, but different computer: absolved computer of blame, FAILED to solve issue with Chrome
- Run Microsoft Security Essentials: clean bill of health, FAILED to fix Chrome issue (would have succeeded if the issue was spyware-related)
- Run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware: clean bill of health, FAILED to fix Chrome issue (would have succeeded if the issue was spyware-related)

Post subject: Re: Cannot Click Certain Links
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:46 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

It would be helpful to provide those webpages with the links to see if it's just you or if it's a Chrome thing. Although at this point I'd blame Chrome considering you've eliminated practically every possibility otherwise.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:29 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

LatiosXT wrote:
It would be helpful to provide those webpages with the links to see if it's just you or if it's a Chrome thing. Although at this point I'd blame Chrome considering you've eliminated practically every possibility otherwise.

I did provide two of the webpages (csmonitor.com and turbotax.com). The third is powerjobs.com.

I know it's "just me" since I had friends test these sites. There's nothing wrong with those pages--but there most definitely is something wrong with Chrome.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:34 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Sovereign wrote:
I did provide two of the webpages (csmonitor.com and turbotax.com). The third is powerjobs.com.

I wasn't clear enough: what were you trying to click on?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:40 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

LatiosXT wrote:
Sovereign wrote:

I wasn't clear enough: what were you trying to click on?

On csmonitor.com, clicking any of the stories on the front page.

On powerjobs.com, clicking Register (works), then filling in fields and hitting the Sign Up Now button (button doesn't work in Chrome).

On turbotax.com, clicking the big orange "Sign In" button.