Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: DisplayPort Monitors
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:00 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I'm looking for DisplayPort monitors that also have HDMI and they are few and far between. So my current setup is a 17inch flatscreen and a 15inch TV currently used as a second monitor. I'm looking to upgrade to dual monitors in the 24inch or up size with at least 1920x1080 resolution. I'm hoping not to spend more than $300 a piece. I'm looking for HDMI and display port as I have no videocard (no need) and just using the HD4000 graphics built into the cpu. It can display up to 3 monitors but I only need two. Right now the motherboard (asus p8z77v-pro) has a VGA, DVI, HDMI, and Displayport so thats why I can't do both monitors with displayport only or HDMI only hence I need both and I don't want to mix and match monitors of two different brands if i can help it.

I was looking at the Asus ve258q but saw a lot of reviews pointing to dead pixels and now I'm scared but having trouble finding anything comparable. Any suggestions? What is a good manufacturer of displays? Should I just go with trusted brands like HP or Dell for my displays and pay the premium?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236123&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Post subject: Re: DisplayPort Monitors
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:55 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Dell's monitors have DisplayPort in them.

On a side note, you don't need to look for something with DisplayPort, you can get an adapter for it. And DisplayPort offers no real advantage over DVI at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:43 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Be aware that their is movement afoot to do away with Displayport altogether. Little wonder since it's such a misfit. Why not stick with DVI and snap up a pair of 2560x1440 Korean panels for some real eye candy?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:50 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Interesting. dislayport has higher bandwidth, royalty free, and has better features than HDMI......sounds like a VHS to beta max again. Anyway, so you guys are suggesting DVI over even HDMI monitor? I will admit I just assumed better quality over HDMI cables compared to DVI but if audio is the only advantage maybe I'll do one HDMI and the other DVI. Or a cable for HDMI to display port/dvi.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:28 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

DisplayPort has the issue of trying to replace something that didn't need replacing in the first place. Sure it has higher bandwidth, but until we start shoving down resolutions higher than 1080p, it's not going to gain wide acceptance anytime soon. As much as I imagine 2560x1440/1600 will be the next step, I'm also having a feeling 2K/4K will be the next step for consumers (to match TVs, because it's simpler for manufacturing).

Anyway. Yes, we're suggesting a DVI or HDMI monitor, because your options expand out.

Also there's no "quality" difference between interfaces. It's a digital signal. A 1080p signal coming out of the computer to a monitor is going to look the same no matter if it's DVI, HDMI, or DisplayPort.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:57 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

OK thanks, I know VGA is a lower quality and I figured since dvi is also old it would be visibly worse than HDMI. I think I'll ignore the display port requirement now. I read some good reviews on BenQ monitors so I might look that way.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:47 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Also fun fact: HDMI's video signal is DVI.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:09 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

^ True dat!

@ OP, HDMI is simply DVI video signal with audio. Here is some quick reading 4U.