Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Sound card to DAC to 2.0 Speakers Help
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:00 am 

I currently have a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium and an old set of 5.1 Logitech speakers. I don't have them placed in anything resembling a 5.1 setup, so I've decided to switch to a pair of 2.0 (later to be upgraded to 2.1) speakers. I've decided on the Audioengine's A5+ as the set of speakers since they would be a major upgrade.

I have seen that a lot of people buy the Audioengine D1 Premium 24-Bit DAC along with the speakers. I was thinking about hooking up the speakers to the D1 and the D1 to the soundcard via toslink.

Would I hear any benefit with this setup? Or should I skip the D1 altogether? Does anybody have any recommendations about the setup? Thanks.

I listen to a lot of music, but am in no way an audiophile. Once in a while, I will watch live concert recordings on blu-ray, but besides that I don't play with much high fidelity audio.

Post subject: Re: Sound card to DAC to 2.0 Speakers Help
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:21 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The only benefit you'd probably get is that the DAC is not in a "noisy" environment. But since you say you don't really care about sound quality that much, you can skip buying it.

The only other reason I can think of is the impedance input on the speakers is higher than normal and you need a DAC that can drive it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:52 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

mattpsylon wrote:
I listen to a lot of music, but am in no way an audiophile. Once in a while, I will watch live concert recordings on blu-ray, but besides that I don't play with much high fidelity audio.

Then DAC isn't for you. But if you want to dabble and test drive, no better unit than the $100 FiiO E17, it'll drive computer speaks with ease too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:42 pm 

Thanks for the advice. I might try out the FiiO E17.

At night I use the Sennheiser RS 170, a set of wireless headphones, so I won't disturb anyone else in the house or neighborhood. I am under the assumption that the DAC won't be driving the headphones at all since they are self powered. Does a DAC affect a set of wireless headphones?