Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: No POST Screen
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:40 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I have a New but Old motherboard, what I mean it is a old dated , but new old stock Biostar TForce 590SLI Deluxe. I bought it new to salvage some old hardware, RAM CPU from another system that failed MOBO and graphics card. Any way I just want to put this "Frankenstein" collection of old and new to resurrect parts to get something going for my sons to have a PC. Anyway the main problem is when I tried to power it up there is no POST screen or no DVI signal. The graphics card is a Ge force GTX 460 EVGA. PCI 2.0. . There is no operating system installed as of yet. I just wanted to get to the POST screen to begin. . I switched the DVI outputs on the back of the card. I tried the card in a different PCI slot, I tried different power connectors to the card. Both PCI power cables are plugged in the cards. I wiggled them. I even tried a old spare video card a old 256 MB EVGA card that has worked before. I switched monitors to a working one that is on my PC that works now. Still no DVI signal. No video display of the POST screen. Could it be since the MOBO is old and sat a while that the CMOS battery is dead and could that be the problem? or a bad MOBO? :x

Post subject: Re: No POST Screen
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:13 am 
Willamette
Willamette

I see that this motherboard has a debug LED that is used to display BIOS POST codes and help you identify errors. Is this LED lighting up at all? If so, check the post code and post back and I can help you with your problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:55 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

pcstudent wrote:
I see that this motherboard has a debug LED that is used to display BIOS POST codes and help you identify errors. Is this LED lighting up at all? If so, check the post code and post back and I can help you with your problem.

Yes! And is their any beeping going on?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:57 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Do you have the 8 pin cpu power lead plugged in?

Nasty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:28 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

No beeping going on. Yes 8 pin CPU power lead is plugged in. POST Code is C5 "early shadow"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:08 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Okay, the BIOS POST code indicates that early shadowing is enabled for fast boot. Not very helpful, at least to me. Are you hearing the hard drive spin up, are the keyboard lights lit, and is the power supply fan spinning?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:13 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Since this is a different motherboard than the last, did you make damn sure all the mounting posts are in the right place, you could be sitting on one and shorting things out.

Have you tried resetting the CMOS?

CMOS batteries last about 3 years, if the board sat more than that try replacing it, it is a cheap fix if that is the problem.

Nasty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:24 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

You say C5, huh? Yup, first clear the cmos. If it still no posts, then...

1. Put one stick in the slot farthest from the CPU
2. Boot into bios and set your memory voltage to manufacturer specs
3. Save and reboot
4. Then put you other sticks in and reboot
5. And make sure your GPU is seated properly too. Visually inspect that the lock is on.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:56 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

The case is new. I did make sure that the mounting holes are lined up and correct. The Fans are spinning, it is hard to hear if the hard drive is spinning. There are 2 LED's on the MOBO that are lit,
LED_DIMM indicates voltage of memory is activated normally, LED_5SB indicates the system is ready for power on The key board I have is wire less. I could put a spare in to see if the board lights up next. I will try and clear the CMOS by closing pins 2 and 3 with the jumper per the user manual, next. Also I am going to run and get a new battery now as soon as I finish this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:58 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Also did try to check the GPU, even tried a different card and PCI slot.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:23 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Is the ram on the QVL list for that motherboard? Some motherboards are picky, that is why I asked.

Nasty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:25 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I cleared the CMOS as per the manual. Also changed the battery. The old one was dead, checked it with a hand held VOM. Put a new battery in. I also disconnected the fans to see if I could hear the hard drive spins, it does. I held the CPU fan with my thumb, didn't disconnect it, still No beeping or POST screen. Will try the RAM removal procedure as recommended above next.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:30 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I have not checked the RAM as far as the QVL list. I can do that , the only thing now is it is old DDR2. Here is a important bit of info I didn't mention earlier. This configuration or setup did POST up before, about 6 months ago when I first put it all together. I had it hooked to my monitor, hadn't got the other yet, due to lack of cash and other stuff going on. Just put it away o the back burner . Now it wont POST or beep, no DVI signal.Ma-bee someone here dropped it or knocked it with out telling me but it was off to the side away from foot traffic as far as I know.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:43 am 
Willamette
Willamette

If the memory is good and seated well in the motherboard, I would say that your motherboard is probably bad.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:52 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Went to Biostar and Corsair 's website to verify the RAM if it is on the QVL, no luck to old, the MOBO was not on the list any more at Corsair and Biostar does not have a link for RAM only CPU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:58 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Try this: http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/int ... 172#memory

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:40 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Thank you PCstudent for the post, I did not see my RAM there, it is a partial list. Strange thin is this build booted up before and a POST screen showed with no OS. Tested it on my monitor, was saving for a new monitor then got more cash and time to finish it up, now it is not POST ing no beeps or DVI signal. I hate to but ma bee I should just bury it and fork out cash for a new MOBO CPU RAM etc, it was to be for my sons to game with LAN against each other or me. And of course homework.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:45 am 
Willamette
Willamette

One more thing: What is the make and model of the PSU that you are using for this particular build?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:41 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

It is a 650 Watt Antec EA 650 Green new by the way. The RAM is used the CPU used CPU fan used all worked before in a previous build that went bad due to a bad MOBO. That long post is probably still in the archives here under my user name. That system or what was left is up and running good, new MOBO CPU and RAM and GPU. This other one in question was a "Frankenstein" build just to salvage leftover hardware from the other one.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:39 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

How old is that video card? Do you have another one to try out? I'd try the monitor and video card in another machine if you have access to one. I say to try that because the board had booted before. Even though you have a good brand of power supply, I wouldn't rule that out either. Perhaps you could borrow one.