Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Home Server for <$600
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:28 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Hey guys,

I have recently been thinking that I need to build a server for my house. We stream media to 2 TV, 2 Tablets, and there are 3 laptops in the house as well as my main PC. Hard drives are filling up everywhere with movies, photos, and music. I have been using my main PC to 'serve' everything but it is starting to get so full that it is bothering me.

I was hoping to spend about 600 or less and have something with about 6-8TB of storage that will stream media to the tablets and the PS3. It would also be nice if I could manage my torrents on the server as well ( I assume I can do this remotely somehow). And I hope to just have a box that I can tuck away and never have to fuss with directly. I also have a mix of MAC and Win7 devices they would all need to be supported.

The recent article of FreeNas on the MaximumPC homepage is what got me thinking about this, but I thing that the amount of money spent is not needed for what I do. I have also been reading that Ubuntu can act as a server as well ( I have experience with ubuntu)

My concerns are that I stream mostly 1080p video, will the CPU in the server effect the quality I get? Or is that handled by what I am streaming to?

Any suggestion of hardware (newegg.ca or ncix.com) or software would be appreciated. I am well versed in PC building so I am looking for DIY and not premade NAS hardware.

Phad.

Post subject: Re: Home Server for <$600
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:16 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

You just missed the deal of year last week on the CR-458 @ $130 after MIR. Even still, $190 is killer, and simply doesn't warrant piecing and parting a DIY build.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:38 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

This does look promising. Will it handle high-def streaming?

I am not completely clear if what I am doing with the server will require it to handle the transcoding or not. I will be streaming to PS3 and WD-tv units, mostly 1080p content.

Thank you

Phad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:22 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

phaddie wrote:
This does look promising. Will it handle high-def streaming?

Streaming HD content is not dependent on the server's CPU. All the server does when streaming video is send the data packets as if copying a file. If you're talking about watching streaming video on the server itself, it depends on how many requests you're expected to service at once. But if all you're doing is basically fileserving, it shouldn't have too much of an effect.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:40 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

After doing some more reading, it seems that the above mentioned unit basically storage only. There is no way I could get it to monitor RRS feeds and download torrent automatically correct?

Phad.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:31 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

phaddie wrote:
There is no way I could get it to monitor RRS feeds and download torrent automatically correct?

Correct. What was linked is an actual NAS.

Why can't you monitor RSS feeds from the end device?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:16 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

I can, and am doing that now. I was just thinking that all the files I would be downloading will end up on the server drives anyway, why not download and seed them directly from the server all without my intervention.

It looks like FreeNas can accomplish this with a plugin for Transmission called FlexGet.

Phad.