Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Win7pro64 hangs on shutdown ONLY after gaming
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:34 am 

A few months ago my desktop started hanging on shutdown/sleep and I had isolated it to only happening after I played a game. Any game, any length of time.

When it started, WoW was all I was playing. Recently I picked up a bunch of games from the Steam sale and I'm having the same issue.

If I use my computer for anything else, I have no problems. I can boot/sleep/shutdown all day long. The first time I open a game, close it, and try to shutdown or sleep, the system hangs and I have to force it to shutdown.

Hardware is AMD Phenom2 x4@3.4ghz, sapphire radeon 5870, 16gb ram, crucial m4 ssd. The ssd is a recent addition. When it originally started, I was using a wd caviar black 1tb as my main hd. So I have done a fresh install since it started. I've made sure drivers were up-to-date. Even tried using older drivers to no avail.

I've tried reading through Event Viewer, but don't see anything useful with a timestamp close to when I would attempt to shutdown.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Win7pro64 hangs on shutdown ONLY after gaming
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:09 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Does it hang/freeze or does it BSOD? How did you install the OS on the M4? Odds are, it created two MBR's, the M4's are notorious for this hiccup. When it sleeps even pauses for a second and then finds two MBR's and freezes. Delete the one you don't need and you should be good and freeze free.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:09 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Make sure the firmware on the drive is the latest and do as kleinkinstein suggested.

Nasty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:36 pm 

Just freezes, no BSOD.

I updated the firmware and tried fixing the MBR. Also tried just removing the 1tb hd I use as storage and still got the same result.

I do have windows 8 sitting here, so I might wipe both drives clean of all boot info and just go up to 8.

Appreciate the replies!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:46 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Please keep us updated about win8. It may be a hardware issue. Try running memtest86+ on your ram, one stick at a time, if any errors are present replace the stick of ram.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Memtest86_d4226.html

Your power supply could be causing this too, try swapping it out with a known good psu. Borrow one if you have to.

Are you sure all the fans are running on the cpu and power supply?

Is the cpu heatsink/fan assembly properly mounted to the cpu/motherboard?

Nasty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:59 pm 

All fans are good. Temps are fine.

I'll try a memtest tonight.

PSU is a corsair 650w. Fan is good in it.

The only other issue I've had since I built this PC is a random issue when someone walks by it, occasionally the screen goes black and I have to force shutdown. Sound keeps going and everything, just complete loss of video. Its done that since day one, but I'd written it off at static discharge or something like that. Only happens when the computer is brushed and since the house is all hardwood, its very dry and very static-y. This doesn't happen often though. Maybe once a month since I built it in sept 2010.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:12 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

For the video issue, did you try using a different port on the monitor....vga or hdmi instead of dvi? A friends monitor lost the dvi port functionality and he had to use the vga port or buy a new monitor...he is a cheapskate...so no new monitor. :lol:

Nasty