Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: to NAS or not to NAS
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:51 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hello all

I would like to purchase or build either a NAS or a RAID box with my spare HDD's to store all my movies to stream to all the media players in my house. I have 1 2TB, 3 1TB drives and I would like to put them into one enclosure for a RAID. What is the best way to store the media and serve it up to my other devices. I have a Netgear WNDR4000 that I can attach a USB drive to but I don't think that is the best solution. I want to stream the content over my GIGAbit network in the house because it is mainly HD content at 1080p. My friend has a Drobo and swears by it but it is kind of expensive and it hasn't received stellar reviews.

Here are some of the features I would like it to have.:
WOL support so the device isnt running 24/7
Support for Gigabit network
Be able to access it from OSX
Can use any size drive to create the RAID(Drobo supports this apparently)

Thank you for the help and Merry Chirstmas.

Post subject: Re: to NAS or not to NAS
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:47 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You can always build yourself a box. Home servers don't need anything more than bare basics. My friend built what is essentially a NAS box running off a dual core Atom and Linux.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:49 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Thanks for the reply, how big is the case I looking to very low profile something that can hide in a corner of my home entertainment center maybe.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:32 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Nothing beats hardware RAID in a NAS. And nothing beats this $130 4-bay CineRaid with promocode EMCJHHN42.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:39 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

thanks kleinkinstein that's a very nice setup and in a perfect price range. I will have to look at the home site to see if the offer a version that will connect to my network via gigabit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:12 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I think the right route is NAS the usb port I think will be to slow connected to my router. I found this little NAS but I could not find a review on MPC

http://www.synology.com/products/spec.php?product_name=DS411slim&lang=us#p_submenu

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822108077

and its in my price range.

What do you think?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:15 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Just plug the unit into your router usb port via it's usb 3.0 port/cable. You may want to fire up FreeNas to get things cooking. Use this 2nd promocode BTEJHHF38 for another 15% off. New CR-H458 total of $104. Insane price for hardware raid, 4-bay, hot-swappable, usb3.0 and eSata, all aluminum, and external.

As for that Synology, you want hardware raid (not software), a night & day difference. And also a hot-swappable backplate and 3.5" hdds...not 2.5". Stop over-thinking this. Do you realize you could get THREE CR-H458's and 48TB of RAIDed NAS storage for the cost of this gimped Synology?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:49 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Must agree with the earlier synology recommendation. I am running a two bay in raid 1, my brother is running a four bay setup. Configuration is simple, software is well maintained, hardware is reliable. I have had one for a few years with no issues

Wazer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:38 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

kleinkinstein wrote:
Just plug the unit into your router usb port via it's usb 3.0 port/cable. You may want to fire up FreeNas to get things cooking. Use this 2nd promocode BTEJHHF38 for another 15% off. New CR-H458 total of $104. Insane price for hardware raid, 4-bay, hot-swappable, usb3.0 and eSata, all aluminum, and external.

As for that Synology, you want hardware raid (not software), a night & day difference. And also a hot-swappable backplate and 3.5" hdds...not 2.5". Stop over-thinking this. Do you realize you could get THREE CR-H458's and 48TB of RAIDed NAS storage for the cost of this gimped Synology?

That is a great option and I agree I would like hardware raid, I am worried about transfer speed of streaming HD content (1080p) over WiFi/N, what has been your experience with that kind of setup kleinkinstein?